Re: NVDA says Edit box unavailable and Getting Mode Messages Spoken

thanks gene for your greatt guides as always.
i need some temporary setting for specific times, but not for always.
for example: when i read wikipedia pages, i dont want to hear link in
lines, but dont want to disable announcing links forever!
or sometimes about particular punctuation which i want to know in specific time.
so, i agree with you and i should uncheck save settings on exit!
thanks again gene and God bless you!

On 7/11/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
If you don't save settings you have changed with control NVDA key c before
closing the program, when you reopen the program, the old settings will be
used. If you tell NVDA not to save settings on exit, you won't loose any
settings you have changed in this session or in any future session until you
close the program without manually saving the changes you made in that
session first. If you want to try a different synthesizer and don't save
settings automatically on exit, you can try it and the synthesizer you were
using before will be used when you run the program again. If you want to
use different puncctuation settings and not have them be permanent, they
won't be if you don't manually save them. Who knows what people might want
to change temporarily and don't want to accidentally change.

I consider the default save on exit setting to be a really bad default
setting. It's an excellent example of too much automation that easily may
have adverse effects on users.