Re: NVDA keeps on saying unknown yet speaks in other places

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Below will be what it said in the log. I am pretty sure it was set to debug when she had the problems but also noticed she only had nvda 2016.3 but even up dating nvda did not do the trick if i remember right. maybe if mark can catch it with the later version of NVDA it might give them some thing to go off.

There is a ticket at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807

Please refer to the comment on how to fix the problem from May 19 about doing it in a command prompt window. They were the steps posted to the nvda audio tutorials page.

could some one add the log if it helps.

Gene nz

The log is below from her computer.

INFO - __main__ (19:12:50):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (19:12:50):
Config dir: C:\Users\Margaret\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - core.main (19:12:50):
NVDA version 2016.3
INFO - core.main (19:12:50):
Using Windows version 10.0.14393 workstation
INFO - core.main (19:12:50):
Using Python version 2.7.12 (v2.7.12:d33e0cf91556, Jun 27 2016, 15:19:22) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (19:12:50):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDrivers.espeak.SynthDriver.__init__ (19:12:50):
Using eSpeak version 1.48.15  16.Apr.15
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (19:12:50):
Loaded synthDriver espeak
INFO - core.main (19:12:50):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - braille.initialize (19:12:50):
Using liblouis version 2.6.5
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (19:12:50):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (19:12:50):
Braille input initialized
WARNING - core.main (19:12:50):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (19:12:50):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - external:globalPlugins.weather.GetUrlData (19:12:53):
Weather Plus: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
INFO - core.main (19:12:53):
NVDA initialized
INFO - external:globalPlugins.remoteClient.GlobalPlugin.on_connected_as_slave (19:16:22):
Control connector connected
ERROR - unhandled exception (19:16:22):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "wx\_core.pyo", line 16766, in <lambda>
  File "C:\Users\Margaret\AppData\Roaming\nvda\addons\remote\globalPlugins\remoteClient\__init__.py", line 345, in on_connected_as_slave
NameError: global name 'write_connection_to_config' is not defined
ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (19:23:43):
error executing script: <bound method GlobalCommands.script_review_activate of <globalCommands.GlobalCommands object at 0x05822EF0>> with gesture u'NVDA+numpad enter'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scriptHandler.pyo", line 186, in executeScript
  File "globalCommands.pyo", line 924, in script_review_activate
  File "textInfos\__init__.pyo", line 442, in activate
  File "baseObject.pyo", line 21, in __get__
  File "textInfos\offsets.pyo", line 331, in _get_pointAtStart
  File "displayModel.pyo", line 395, in _getPointFromOffset
LookupError
ERROR - scriptHandler.executeScript (19:24:54):
error executing script: <bound method GlobalCommands.script_review_activate of <globalCommands.GlobalCommands object at 0x05822EF0>> with gesture u'NVDA+numpad enter'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scriptHandler.pyo", line 186, in executeScript
  File "globalCommands.pyo", line 924, in script_review_activate
  File "textInfos\__init__.pyo", line 442, in activate
  File "baseObject.pyo", line 21, in __get__
  File "textInfos\offsets.pyo", line 331, in _get_pointAtStart
  File "displayModel.pyo", line 395, in _getPointFromOffset
LookupError

Gene nz\

On 7/12/2017 8:30 AM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi guys

A while ago i had a problem with nvda saying unknown etc in your all browsers thunder bird etc so i in the last day or so put up the steps on how to fix the problem i had. There is another on the list now having the same problem.

So will post it in this email  what was sent to the nvda auddio tutorials page with the same sort of heading under the trouble shooting section.

NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places

If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

·         In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

·         In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

·         When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

·         Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

·         Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

·         The running applications icons not being spoken out

It might be a good idea to do the following.

Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.

You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.

Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.

Type in the following command

for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x

This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.

When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

it fixed the problem for me.

I do not know what started the problem in the first place. But if you read some of the problems i had and what i tried it will give you a idea.

Gene nz

hi Gene

I did the usual of uninstalling nvda and under the %appdata% section as well. Reinstalled nvda etc.

There is still a working copy of microsoft office 2010 on her computer, so nothing was uninstalled. I asked her a few questions and she is one that doesn't really play around with settings etc.

Setting windows back to a earlier restore point did not fix the problem. I also done a system file checker with another program in the command prompt but that still did not work.

The problem is fixed now and will be putting the steps up on my nvda audio tutorials page under trouble  shooting the steps to fix it.

It will list some of the problems i had where it affected nvda and under it will be the steps that fixed it.

it is a nasty bug if you can call it that or some thing some how unregisted  certain parts that nVDA needs to work properly.

I was also able to get a nvda.log as well if some one could look into it, I am pretty sure it was set to debug.

I have seen reference to this in some past emails on the list so hopefully this same thing might fix there problem if the same.

Gene nz

On 12/06/2017 9:12 PM, Gene wrote:
Ask if someone removed Word or Office.  It sounds as though someone did something like that which damages Windows ability to work with NVDA.  I don't know if the problem can be corrected other than by doing something like reverting Windows using the Windows 10 feature.  But I don't know if everything must be removed or if Windows can be reverted while keeping installed programs.  Others who know more will, I hope comment.

Gene

Sent: Monday, June 12, 2017 3:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA keeps on saying unknown yet speaks in other places

hi guys

i have a lady who gave me her laptop. She is running Windows 10 with the anniversary version of windows. it is a 64 bit machine and has NVDA 2017.2 on it at present.

she has mozilla thunder bird and fire fox etc on it.

there are no viruses etc on it.

NVDA starts up and is using the e speak synth.

some of the things it is doing like when you tab say from the start menu across the taskbar where the running applications are it is saying unknown. Ausing the arrow keys nvda will not speak any thing. A sighted person said there is little icons there but are not getting read out. it will speak the windows notification area and also the desktop. You can arrow around etc and that part works. You can go into NVDAs menus etc. You can also go into windows explorer and navigate there as well. But the menus up the topwill only speak the main tabs and not any thing as you tab down the list.

When you go into mozilla thunder bird it just says unknown as you tab. you can not even get into the menus up the top with the alt key etc.

the same sort of thing happens in mozilla fire fox and there is a page loaded which it does not speak. it will not even speak the menus up the top either. Quick navigation keys do not even work.

I have even uninstalled NVDA totally both through the program and features section and also under the %appdata% section then installed a clean copy of NVDA, yet the same results.

At present i am doing a system restore to a earlier date but will not know until it boots up if the problems is still there.

The applications key when pressed i got told it comes up, but nvda does not speak it when you arrow down the menu.

any ideas i could try? I have also tried it from a thumb drive with a good working copy, but still the same results.

I will try and get a nvda log and send it so you guys might get a better idea of what is happening.

Gene nz