Re: a good news for those who say nvda becomes silent for them after minutes in browsers and says unknown

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Nope, still consider it a bug.  There are routines one can call to tell the computer you're doing something, and there's no reason why jaws et al can't put said calls into the screen reader so that the operating system knows something is active, and you shouldn't start the screen reader.  The os manufacturer knows the screen reader is doing something (after all, it is the one sending the notifications the screen reader is responding to), so they could easily notify the system not to go to sleep.  Nope, can't agree here, still a bug.

On 7/16/2017 4:30 PM, Gene wrote:
It's not a bug.  Windows doesn't know to keep the screen-reader from coming up because no keys are being depressed.  Manufacturers have said for decades that screen-savers should not be on when using a screen-reader.

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a good news for those who say nvda becomes silent for them after minutes in browsers and says unknown

Actually, I do consider this a bug, because as long as my screen reader is talking, the machine shouldn't go to sleep, it's still doing something, even if it's not visible to a sighted person.

Apple is bad with this too, and it's something that has irritated me for years.

I don't know what is happening on your machine but JAWS usually does stop when a screen-saver comes on and has done so as long as I've heard about the issue.  People should set the screen saver setting to none.  This isn't a bug or anything that should be reported.

Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2017 3:59 AM

should i report it in github?
because sayAll does not stop after activating screen saver for jaws users.