Re: a good news for those who say nvda becomes silent for them after minutes in browsers and says unknown

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

100 percent disagree. screen readers are more than just screen readers these days. They replace a display for one thing, and if they were just screen readers, then we wouldn't have issues with screen readers saying things that aren't actually there (something I've complained about especially with apple for years). If they were just screen readers, then they would read what is on the screen, and nothing else. They wouldn't attempt to interpret what is read, to say street or saint (in context), they would simply say s t and continue. Neither would they give the option of saying 1 hundred and twenty three or 1 2 3, No folks, screen readers topped being just screen readers a long time ago, and as such, things like your screen reader stopping (or not) when the system goes to sleep even though the screen reader is still active are most definitely a bug. Now, whether it's an os bug or a screen reader bug is certainly open for debate, but nonetheless, it's still a bug, and I for one would definitely like to see it fixed, on IOS, OSX, and in windows as well.

On 7/16/2017 11:27 PM, Andre Fisher wrote:
It's not a bug, because a screen reader is what it is, a screen
reader. If a screen saver is active, then a sighted user would not be
able to tell what's on screen either. Notice that say all stops when
the screen saver is active.

It's more of an enhancement.

On 7/16/17, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@softcon.com> wrote:
Nope, still consider it a bug. There are routines one can call to tell
the computer you're doing something, and there's no reason why jaws et
al can't put said calls into the screen reader so that the operating
system knows something is active, and you shouldn't start the screen
reader. The os manufacturer knows the screen reader is doing something
(after all, it is the one sending the notifications the screen reader is
responding to), so they could easily notify the system not to go to
sleep. Nope, can't agree here, still a bug.

On 7/16/2017 4:30 PM, Gene wrote:
It's not a bug. Windows doesn't know to keep the screen-reader from
coming up because no keys are being depressed. Manufacturers have
said for decades that screen-savers should not be on when using a
screen-reader.