Re: Emergency advisory for Windows XP and Resource Monitor users: please use version 16.08 or disable the add-on

joseph and brian.
i agree with your first sentence.
nvda is a very great to continued support xp.
but i know some programs that even support win 95 and 98 until windows ten.
and if i were programmer, follow the rool that my program be
compatible with all operating systems and all versions.

<bglists@...> wrote:
I think, unless you have been hiding under a rock for about five years or
so, thus far nvda has been one of the best pieces of software for continuing

support of XP. Also of course there is no reason why you cannot continue to

use the older versions of add ons in the code unless it breaks due to an
nvda addition or change.
Also, being open source if there are enough people who want to still run
xp, there is nothing stopping you from getting somebody who can program to
write a bespoke add on to do what you want.
If you want proof of the fact that xp can now only really be used because
nothing else will run on the hardware, look at.
Firefox. Last version 48 on AMD processors 52 on Intel
Ccleaner 5.2 on Amd Processors but still runs newer version on Pentiums
Java, no bug fixes or updates
Adobe Digital Edition will not run on xp
Flash really buggy and seems not to work

Adobe reader, only 11 will run and no bug fixes either.

Windows updates no longer work unless you force the machine to download the

file manually as with the recent hostage ware patch that came through.
Most updates for office do not seem to run well in xp.

Although it is still true to say that all current windows O/ss can trace
their origins back to Windows NT the basic kernal and its associated
routines have been so much modified since that it would be a real nightmare

to make much of it work.
So we have to put up with older software. At the moment msse still runs,
but I'd imagine that won't be for a great deal longer as even the embedded
version in cash machines and point of sale terminals are now being phased
out, for good security reasons.
Thus the hack for the windows updates will not bring you anything but a
slow computer while it looks in vain for updates!
Its had a good innings and yes its still usable with provisos as said
above. I tried to write this not in the lingo of the programmer as Josephs
was a bit, and hope it helps.
Now whether you support things going out of date is a discussion for a
philosophical list not this one!

Now where is my hippy caftan.
Brian

bglists@...