Re: System restore

Well I have old erunt but weather that remains working or not is unknown its not for win10 and its not been updated in ages.

I have not tried to restore a registry with it its for xp really but it seems to back it up ok.

On 21/07/2017 9:58 a.m., Gene wrote:
I'm not saying it's at all equivalent to a reversion program but if all you use is System Restore, you should have something else, whether it's adequate or not.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 4:20 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] System restore

That is good but if you uninstalled a program well then loaded another
you may want to get that program or settings back.

I to use a reg backup.

On 21/07/2017 9:13 a.m., Gene wrote:
I have computers where System Restore works reliably in general, and I have one where it doesn't. I'm not sure why. But at a minimum, I think people should have a registry backup program if all they currently use is System Restore. Even if it usually works reliably on a computer, you never know when something might happen. On my Windows 7 machine, all my restore points were lost for unknown reasons. I didn't have to run System Restore at that time, but I couldn't have if I had wanted or needed to. So reliable operation isn't a guarantee of future reliability. I'm saying that because some people might not want to use an imaging program but they might be willing to use something like a registry backup program. I'm not recommending it but I'm saying that something should be used in addition to system restore even if it isn't adequate.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2017 3:59 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] System restore

System Restore is notoriously flaky. I love it when it works, but I've had way more than one occasion where it will not. I've had others where I kept having to work my way in reverse chronological order from the most recent restore point until I finally hit one where the restore would work.

This is only one of the reasons I strongly encourage my clients to obtain an external backup drive and take system image backups using the frequency metric "whenever I'd really want to tear my hair out to redo the work it's taken to get my system as it is now." If you don't do a lot of software installation and/or removal the interval will be longer than for someone who's frequently tweaking their system.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.