Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Several windows 10 users have got..

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 08:42 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Yes but why is it asking this question. From memory all you usually get is that a new version of it is available with extra features, do you want to now or later etc.
Because people legitimately complained about prior major updates to Windows 10 resetting Privacy (or other) settings as part of the update without any notification whatsoever.  This update also contains several new settings that were not there before, and Microsoft wants you to choose how you'd like those settings to be set so that this can be applied at the end of the update.

I tell everyone that when any of the Version updates takes place to Windows 10 you should always take a few minutes afterward, and that's all it requires, to cruise through every pane in the Privacy settings to ensure that things are set as you'd like them to be.  It also helps you to become more familiar with what you can control and where you need to go to tweak it as far as privacy goes.

And, as Gene has already noted, Windows 10 marked the introduction of Windows as a Service.  You cannot decline updates and if you use any method to rig it such that you don't get them you won't be getting security updates which are absolutely essential unless you're willing to keep reviewing the update catalog and manually downloading and applying same.  I'd rather not have to do that and my own professional experience informs my opinion that Microsoft, or any operating system creator and maintainer, knows a lot better than I do about what needs to be updated with their operating systems.  Nobody has put it better than one of the BSOD experts on BleepingComputer.com with regard to Windows Updates, regardless of the version of Windows under discussion:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . .  It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates.  There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

        ~ John Carrona, AKA usasma on BleepingComputer.com, http://www.carrona.org/

--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            ~ Niels Bohr