From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Several windows 10 users have got..

Hi,

The ultimate idea behind Windows as a Service (WaaS) is to get everyone on the same page, same ecosystem, same principles, and same attitudes:

* Same page: same or similar compatibility (note that the words “same” and “similar” are two completely different words).
* Same ecosystem: to reduce fragmentation.
* Same principles: updates, deployment and what not.
* Same attitudes: update checks, testing new things as soon as possible and what not.

It’s been rough in the start, but as Windows 10 is turning two years old next week, the transition is going well (not smooth, but people are starting to realize implications of this new model). For instance, in the early days, some programs (including one or two antivirus programs) didn’t work well with Windows 10 and WaaS in general; that is changing slowly. When it comes to screen readers, it produced mixed results.

Regarding privacy settings: I may need to write this to the Win10 forum later (I cannot talk about this with authority here, as I want to tone down a lot on this forum), but I think it’d be a good idea to review privacy settings before and after new Windows 10 feature updates, as well as meet changes introduced in Settings and other apps.

A bit tangent: regarding NVDA’s commitment to Windows 10 and older Windows releases: as long as there is a need to provide accessibility workarounds and until the day third-party (not Microsoft) UWP developers embrace accessibility, I will work on Windows 10 App Essentials. I did put Microsoft in parentheses as Redmond is actively evangelizing accessibility principles, and I have advised them several times to persuade third-party devs to follow their examples. Also, older versions of Windows will be supported as long as possible, although as I said earlier, NVDA developers cannot support old releases forever.

Cheers,

Joseph