Re: Several windows 10 users have got..

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I just think then that Microsoft have misjudged the expertise of many users by using these privacy settings and other things that the user has probably left as default since they got their computer and hence are worried that whatever is about to happen might upset something and or make them have to access and change something they have no knowledge of.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Several windows 10 users have got..

Hi,

The ultimate idea behind Windows as a Service (WaaS) is to get everyone on the same page, same ecosystem, same principles, and same attitudes:

* Same page: same or similar compatibility (note that the words “same” and “similar” are two completely different words).
* Same ecosystem: to reduce fragmentation.
* Same principles: updates, deployment and what not.
* Same attitudes: update checks, testing new things as soon as possible and what not.

It’s been rough in the start, but as Windows 10 is turning two years old next week, the transition is going well (not smooth, but people are starting to realize implications of this new model). For instance, in the early days, some programs (including one or two antivirus programs) didn’t work well with Windows 10 and WaaS in general; that is changing slowly. When it comes to screen readers, it produced mixed results.

Regarding privacy settings: I may need to write this to the Win10 forum later (I cannot talk about this with authority here, as I want to tone down a lot on this forum), but I think it’d be a good idea to review privacy settings before and after new Windows 10 feature updates, as well as meet changes introduced in Settings and other apps.

A bit tangent: regarding NVDA’s commitment to Windows 10 and older Windows releases: as long as there is a need to provide accessibility workarounds and until the day third-party (not Microsoft) UWP developers embrace accessibility, I will work on Windows 10 App Essentials. I did put Microsoft in parentheses as Redmond is actively evangelizing accessibility principles, and I have advised them several times to persuade third-party devs to follow their examples. Also, older versions of Windows will be supported as long as possible, although as I said earlier, NVDA developers cannot support old releases forever.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of The Gamages
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2017 12:54 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello,

I bow to your greater experience, but , if we are not capable of choossing relevant updates, how can we be sure that our privacy settings are as they should be.

What about anti virus? I have Eset smart security and have just written to them for their comments, they do turn off some windows stuff and usually give a message to say that Windows updates are available and should be installed, I’m sure Eset are on top of all this and I will await their reply with interest, if it’s relevant I will pass on anything they say.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:09 PM

To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 08:42 am, Brian's Mail list account wrote:

Yes but why is it asking this question. From memory all you usually get is that a new version of it is available with extra features, do you want to now or later etc.

Because people legitimately complained about prior major updates to Windows 10 resetting Privacy (or other) settings as part of the update without any notification whatsoever. This update also contains several new settings that were not there before, and Microsoft wants you to choose how you'd like those settings to be set so that this can be applied at the end of the update.

I tell everyone that when any of the Version updates takes place to Windows 10 you should always take a few minutes afterward, and that's all it requires, to cruise through every pane in the Privacy settings to ensure that things are set as you'd like them to be. It also helps you to become more familiar with what you can control and where you need to go to tweak it as far as privacy goes.

And, as Gene has already noted, Windows 10 marked the introduction of Windows as a Service. You cannot decline updates and if you use any method to rig it such that you don't get them you won't be getting security updates which are absolutely essential unless you're willing to keep reviewing the update catalog and manually downloading and applying same. I'd rather not have to do that and my own professional experience informs my opinion that Microsoft, or any operating system creator and maintainer, knows a lot better than I do about what needs to be updated with their operating systems. Nobody has put it better than one of the BSOD experts on BleepingComputer.com with regard to Windows Updates, regardless of the version of Windows under discussion:

There really isn't a point to checking for updates and not installing them. . . It's important to install all available updates. I've been doing this since the days of DOS, and I still don't have the confidence to pick and choose among updates. There are just too many variables involved - and most people can't evaluate the full consequences of installing/not installing updates.

~ John Carrona, AKA <https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/u/35824/usasma/> usasma on BleepingComputer.com, <http://www.carrona.org/> http://www.carrona.org/

--
Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063 (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

~ Niels Bohr

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.