Re: clarification on downloading and using RC versions of NVDA

Ashley Wayne

Thank you everyone for the help, you all are great.Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Quentin Christensen
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] clarification on downloading and using RC versions of NVDA

As everyone else has said, the RC (and Next and Master) builds work exactly like the regular stable build.  After it first loads, you are given a screen with the license agreement.  Once you check the checkbox to agree to that, you can install it or create a portable version.  You can also choose "Continue", which keeps running the new version, you can use it just like a portable version (there are a couple of limitations with portable versions, such as not working on secure screens like the Windows logon screen).

If you install the RC build, when the final stable version is released, it will prompt to update to that (or any other RC build in the meantime - occasionally we go to RC2 if problems are found) and then you'll be back on the "stable" branch.

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 6:24 AM, Ashley Wayne <a.r.wayne2008@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have never used any rc or snapshot version of NVDA before, so I just wanted to make sure I understood some things correctly.  I simply download and install it like any other program, there are no additional steps I need to take?  I’m assuming it replaces the previous version of NVDA or will I have both on the computer?  Are settings saved?

I apologize if these are obvious questions, but just wanted to ensure I was accurate in my understanding before I downloaded it.  Thanks for your help as always.

Ashley

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

Quentin Christensen