Re: Doing Google Searches

Can someone google for me how to Google? Oh, wait.
---
Christopher Gilland

From: Gene
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:28 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Doing Google Searches

I'm not concerned with the question mainly from the standpoint of the list.  Whenever the question comes up, it is debated, no minds are changed, and the debate fades away.  But what about how blind people use the Internet in general?  Based on what I see in the way blind people ask questions on vvarious lists, my conclusion is that the majority of blind people don't use the Internet to look up information much, not necessarily list questions, but information in a wide variety of cases.  Sighted people look up so much so constantly now that there are articles commenting on how Googling everything ruins conversations and stops the fun of debating contested information.  Aside from that, by not using Google well, blind people don't get access to a lot of information that they could get and that sighted people would Google without a moment's thought.  For most of my life, access to information was one of the most limiting aspects of blindness.  There was no practical way to have a dictionary, I mean a really good dictionary nor was there any practical way of having an encyclopedia nor all sorts of reference books.  Now, I have equal access to an enormous amount of information.  Blind people, now that such an enormous amount of information is available, are handicapping themselves.  If a blind person knows little or nothing about using the Internet, that's one thing.  But I see a lot of people whom I believe have reasonable if not better Internet skills ask all sorts of questions they could look up.  I'm not talking mostly about technical information.  I'm leaving the question of lists out out of my discussion.  But people ask all sorts of questions sighted people would look up such as, what is this book about, what is this movie about, what is this product, what is this food.  Of course, sighted people discuss such questions but they also look up an enormous amount of information, often too much or too much too quickly to enjoy a good discussion or debate.  But it appears to me that a lot of blind people look up far too little.

Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:16 PM

Amen, Andy. I couldn't agree more. I almost left this list because I felt that a question wasn't being answered. If a person has tried searching for the answer on google or another search engine and can't find the answer, then he should be able to ask a question. After all, isn't that what this list is about--helping one another when we get stuck or have trouble finding an answer?

Rosemarie