Re: Doing Google Searches

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:19 am, Rob wrote:
Not everybody can listen to podcats. Some of us are deaf too. This often doesn't get considered, although it really should be
Why?  I do not get why individuals believe that everyone else on a list should be able to divine the exact situation that any given poster might find themselves in.

I cannot reasonably guess whether someone who posts here regularly is visually-impaired, blind, deaf-blind, or, heaven forfend, sighted such as myself.

It is up to you to offer information about yourself when that becomes necessary, not to expect that everyone is going to know it via mystical cyber waves of some sort.

No matter what venue you're in, there is some mental image that most people in that venue generally have of others in that venue.  If you don't fit it in a way that's pertinent to an answer then pointing that out and asking for alternatives is the way to go.

P.S. to Sarah:  I feel your pain.  It has taken me a long time to try to figure out when step-by-step "for Dummies" format is actually necessary for something/someone or whether I can presume some level of knowledge where I can shorthand something.  I'd rather err on the side of presuming that I don't have to spoon feed when I'm on a list such as this one where everyone clearly already knows how to use e-mail which implies at least some basic knowledge of computer use.  My track record clearly indicates that I'm more than willing to lead by the hand when it's clear that's needed, but I don't think it's reasonable to presume that's what's needed at the outset.  Also, I, you, or anyone else is not responsible for providing information in any given questioner's preferred format unless we know what that format is and it's reasonably easy to supply.

            Niels Bohr