From: brian
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Doing Google Searches

    I agree that just telling somone to just google that is very harch.  You can't always find what you are looking forand if you do you will have take a very long time down arrowing to find what you want.  The sighted can just look at their screens and see what they want but we can't.  People who tell somone on lists to just google it are the ones who are lazy they don't want to help and thats what email lists are for.  If you can't ask for help or ask a question with out getting critisized then why even have email list att and why are people even on list in the first place?   Maybe that person has lready has googled it but they could not find what they were looking for.  This even does happen to the sighted but because we are blind we are just not soposed to ask for help that seems to be a great sin in the blind community asking for help because we are soposed to be super independent.  Some people might need more training and we are all not at the same leavel of independence as others are and neither were they either.  It's often easier and faster to post a question and ask for help on an email list than it is to  just google it.  You will also get better results because the answers that you get come from other people who have found a sultion to your problem.  I am very greatful and very thankful for all of the help that I have received from people on lists and if I can help I will do so.

Brian Sackrider

On 8/18/2017 11:02 PM, Andy wrote:
This issue comes up from time to time, mostly on blind related lists. Interestingly, when among sighted people who have a tech question from time to time, usually if one knows the answer, they just give it. why have these lists at all if one can't feel comfortable asking a question? Now, if the same person asks questions repeatedly, and asks the same question over and over again, it may be appropriate to refer him or her to a resource, or advise that they may want to seek training, but i think that telling someone to "Google it" when they occasionally ask a question is rather harsh.

Andy