Re: Doing Google Searches

Yeah, I can think of one instance or 2 where that happened.

My aunt and dad are nitorious for getting passwords wrong, and things wrong.

Yet when I get on the system everything works as expected.

Another time,  my dad was trying to set up an update to his gps and also to print some documents as well.

How he got completely right accross the net into malware ransom ware and add filled sites not noticing the path to the direct place where he had to go to login and update is beyond me.

After killing all the unwanted software and malware I tried the same procedure, and just couldn't ffmind where faulted it.

Then I guess its what the sightlings see dad never sees or rather reads the entire screen and whenever he moves the mouse about nvda reads all over the show and not the right thing he should be clicking.

On another instance I turned on my uncle's system, and found it full of malware, I said what happened.

Well he said I got a notice on a website that my system was insecure, so I clicked it, there are all these icons in my system tray, and they are probably malware.

I am unsure how I kept a straight face.

The guy was scared aof his notification icons which were telling him he had updates, things to click, and most importantly ok things are fine messages.

My responce after I stopped laughing, please don't be scared about your icons, hit them and they will reveal their secrets.

Saying that I have had people go all over the show for no reason to complete what should be a 2 minute procedure and when you really try to tell them as slowly as you can ie how to change the wireless password or copy a file to a dropbox foldr its like talking to a 386 it just can't be done.

On 19/08/2017 8:55 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes there are also people who tend to have a weird effect the minute they walk anywhere near your pc. I used not to believe in this effect, but i have a friend who only needs to come in and sit near me and things start to misbehave.

Of course there are those who just do not get into the windows concept or indeed the computers concept at all and for them the whole thing is black magic and completely incomprehensibility. they will click a link merely cos its there and then wonder why they get malware.
I have never ever had to reformat a machine only I use.
It is only those who are very bad at thinking about what they are doing that seem to have problems. Of course hardware fails, power outages can corrupt discs etc, but under normal conditions things are retrievable.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 7:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Doing Google Searches

<sigh>

I get this with a few users I fix their systems that want me to fix a mistake they keep making.

Even with my best intentions they always seem not to take my advice.

I'd like to say to them, simply, pick up your laptop, and throw it outside your window into a drum of petrol and set that on fire then quit bugging me for all time.

I don't do this, I simply tell them that they should reformat and that a good reformat fixes everything, and if they have any issue they should reformat and quit bothering me which is the same thing.

I then give them some software and send them on their way.

I have had to do this to a person that wishes to crack software, gets viruses and stuff and treats her technology like I would treat my bike or my running shorts at the gym.

That is beat it all till it doesn't work, then fixes things and says it works.

No pride at all.

I have happily only had to do this with about 3 people in the same place mainly because they did the same thing over and over and that got on my whick.

There are just some people that shouldn't use a pc I guess.

Sucks to be them but one can only handle the same issue day to day for so long.

On 19/08/2017 6:00 p.m., Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I actually got kicked off a list for telling someone to listen to x y and z's podcast on a subject. They wanted me to write the answer down in text. Um? Huh?  It was not this list, it was a different one I had ben on for about 7 years. The moderators of that list basically told me off list I was being lazy. I don't think so as at the time this podcaster did a better job then I at explaining how to do the steps the person asking the question had. If all of this what I said  makes sense, that's good. Lol.
On Aug 18, 2017, at 10:00 PM, Melissa Jean <Melissa.J.Hammitt@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not sure what other   people were thinking with their responses, but I know for certain that mine was not meant to be rude in anyway. I know for me, speaking from personal experience, listing what I do to find answers was supposed to be helpful in someway. I did not really see anywhere where someone said people who don't Google first shouldn't be asking questions… Or anything along those lines. So, I don't really get this whole jump on the bandwagon and attacked people who ask the question "why don't people Google? "
Just from observing over the years it seems that the people who jump on the people asking "why don't people google? "Are worse and the people who actually to ask why people don't do it a certain way…

Melissa
Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 18, 2017, at 11:35 PM, Arlene <nedster66@gmail.com <mailto:nedster66@gmail.com>> wrote:

Preach it Andy. I thought that’s what this list is for. If someone can’t find whatever it is using google. Then he she should be able to ask for any kind of help!
  From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: August-18-17 9:16 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
  Amen, Andy. I couldn't agree more. I almost left this list because I felt that a question wasn't being answered. If a person has tried searching for the answer on google or another search engine and can't find the answer, then he should be able to ask a question. After all, isn't that what this list is about--helping one another when we get stuck or have trouble finding an answer?
  Rosemarie
  From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>] On Behalf Of Andy
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 8:02 PM
  This issue comes up from time to time, mostly on blind related lists. Interestingly, when among sighted people who have a tech question from time to time, usually if one knows the answer, they just give it. why have these lists at all if one can't feel comfortable asking a question? Now, if the same person asks questions repeatedly, and asks the same question over and over again, it may be appropriate to refer him or her to a resource, or advise that they may want to seek training, but i think that telling someone to "Google it" when they occasionally ask a question is rather harsh.
  Andy
  ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 4:47 PM
  Most of us including myself are lazy. Ok, I'll google for something but if I just can't find the answer or the pages are 10 years old (this did happen to me a few times) I will ask on a list and point to the steps I took to troubleshoot the issue, and the steps I tool to try and figure out on my own how to do what ever it is I'm trying to do with nvda, narrator, voiceover, talkback etc.
  Take care
On Aug 18, 2017, at 12:28 PM, Andre Fisher <fishersmails123@gmail.com <mailto:fishersmails123@gmail.com>> wrote:
  Hi.
A quick query. Lately, I have realized that most persons subscribed to this list, rather than going to Google or a search engine of their choice, seek to ask questions here prior to doing this type of research. I’d seriously like to know why, as I find this practice to be counterproductive. Why do I say this? Because sometimes, the responses that are given are incorrect. Why don’t persons read the NVDA User Guide, for example. It is well detailed. Could persons explain this to me?

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.