Re: Doing Google Searches

Gene

The following message is long but for those who want to use the Internet more easily and efficiently, the information may be very useful.

I understand that advocating that blind people who don't use Google much would do well to use Google far more often and better isn't going to help people who are not knowledgeable about using Google or navigating web pages in general.  Thus, this long explanation which is more like a short tutorial than a typical list message.  I hope many people find it useful.

There are patterns that will help you find certain kinds of things very quickly on almost all sites that have that specific thing.  If you want to write to someone at a site or in connection with something offered on the site, such as to an editor at a newspaper site, if you search for the word "contact" on the home page, almost every site that expects to hear from people has a link with the word contact in it.  If you want to listen to a radio station, almost every link for that purpose on almost every radio station site has the word listen in the link. 

I'm not sure if there are many more than the two I've given but there are things you can guess about.  On a newspaper site, you may want to listen to the navigation links to get to know how to find things on a site.  for example, some sites may have a link that says editorials.  Some sites may have a link called opinion instead.  You may be able to save time by searching, using your screen-reader's search command for one word and, if it isn't there, the other.  I'm talking about if you are on the home page of an unfamiliar site and want to try to find a category or area that is likely to be available and you don't want to look through all the navigation links to find it.  You may have to do so on some sites, but on a lot of sites, such methods as I'm discussing may save you a lot of time. 

Also if you search for specific things, the pages that come up as results will be pages of sites that have information about what you are looking for.  You won't get unrelated pages like home pages.  So, for example, if I want to see editorials about the very unpopular new soda tax in the county where I live, if I do a Google search for cook county soda tax editorial, I'll see lots of results with editorials about the soda tax from many newspapers.  You don't have to down arrow through the pages.  they contain articles and move by header, skip blocks of links commands or the screen-reader search command can quickly move you to the start of the article.  If one or two such methods don't work, the other one will.  And at times, as I said before, you can skim by paragraph but that isn't usually nearly as efficient in instances such as I am discussing to find the beginning of an article.

I seldom use the search feature on sites themselves.  on shopping sites, I probably wood, but on general interest searches, and searches for a certain topic, I almost never use the search feature on a site.  Something a lot of people don't know is that you can much more quickly often find what you want by doing searches like this:
If you are looking for a song on Youtube, instead of going to the site and then doing a search, searching in Google for this sort of syntax, Good vibrations Beach Boys youtube will show you many youtube results unless nothing relevant or at least partly relevant is found. 

it is often faster to use Google because you already know the interface well and you don't have to make sure you know what a site is in terms of its exact address, go to it, find the search field and search on that site.  And I've been told that if you do what I do, at times you will find things better.  My sister complains that Spotify doesn't have a good search system and she tells me that she can find more things and find them more easily searching google as, for example, Johnny Be good, Berry, spotify

I hope these comments make it easier for people to navigate web sites and find relevant results. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 11:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Doing Google Searches

Hi, Brian,

The other day I was trying to do a search for a song on youtube. It was a very rare oldie I was trying to find for the music group I'm on. I couldn't find the song so I had to ask a member of the list if they had it. As far as google, I don't use the down-arrow to find search results. I use the H for headings and sometimes I can find what I'm looking for. If I go to a new site and try to find something, I don't always know what I'm looking for until I become familiar with that site. A good example of that is an oldies station I sometimes listen to. Since I'm familiar with that site, I can do the find command and look for the "listen live" link.

My point is this. Sometimes you can't always find something by searching no matter how hard you try. That's why we have email lists--so we can ask questions if we get stuck.

Rosemarie

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of brian
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I agree that just telling somone to just google that is very harch.  You can't always find what you are looking forand if you do you will have take a very long time down arrowing to find what you want.  The sighted can just look at their screens and see what they want but we can't.  People who tell somone on lists to just google it are the ones who are lazy they don't want to help and thats what email lists are for.  If you can't ask for help or ask a question with out getting critisized then why even have email list att and why are people even on list in the first place?   Maybe that person has lready has googled it but they could not find what they were looking for.  This even does happen to the sighted but because we are blind we are just not soposed to ask for help that seems to be a great sin in the blind community asking for help because we are soposed to be super independent.  Some people might need more training and we are all not at the same leavel of independence as others are and neither were they either.  It's often easier and faster to post a question and ask for help on an email list than it is to  just google it.  You will also get better results because the answers that you get come from other people who have found a sultion to your problem.  I am very greatful and very thankful for all of the help that I have received from people on lists and if I can help I will do so.

Brian Sackrider

On 8/18/2017 11:02 PM, Andy wrote:

This issue comes up from time to time, mostly on blind related lists. Interestingly, when among sighted people who have a tech question from time to time, usually if one knows the answer, they just give it. why have these lists at all if one can't feel comfortable asking a question? Now, if the same person asks questions repeatedly, and asks the same question over and over again, it may be appropriate to refer him or her to a resource, or advise that they may want to seek training, but i think that telling someone to "Google it" when they occasionally ask a question is rather harsh.

Andy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 4:47 PM

Most of us including myself are lazy. Ok, I'll google for something but if I just can't find the answer or the pages are 10 years old (this did happen to me a few times) I will ask on a list and point to the steps I took to troubleshoot the issue, and the steps I tool to try and figure out on my own how to do what ever it is I'm trying to do with nvda, narrator, voiceover, talkback etc.

Take care

On Aug 18, 2017, at 12:28 PM, Andre Fisher <fishersmails123@...> wrote:

Hi.

A quick query. Lately, I have realized that most persons subscribed to this list, rather than going to Google or a search engine of their choice, seek to ask questions here prior to doing this type of research. I’d seriously like to know why, as I find this practice to be counterproductive. Why do I say this? Because sometimes, the responses that are given are incorrect. Why don’t persons read the NVDA User Guide, for example. It is well detailed. Could persons explain this to me?

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.