From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: 21 August 2017 03:42
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] question

In the official materials, we say to press say NVDA+control+up arrow to increase the speech, since you may have either insert or caps lock set as the NVDA modifier key (you can have both, in which case you can use either).  Any tutorial which write commands as say insert+control+up arrow is essentially the same, just use caps lock rather than insert if that is what you have set as your NVDA modifier key.

Whether you use the numpad insert, extended insert (the one in the "six pack" above the arrow keys on most desktop keyboards) or the caps lock key, they should work as "sticky" keys if you are using Sticky keys in Windows.  You might find that using the voice settings dialog is an easier way to change the speech rate as once you get into it ("Voice Settings" from NVDA's preferences menu or NVDA+control+v), you can tab to the appropriate slider and then adjust the rate.

Note if you are using Windows 10 and the newly available OneCore voices, these are often slower than other voices.  To overcome this, search for "Change text to speech settings" in Windows itself and adjust the rate there first.

Regards

Quentin.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 6:56 AM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

under the keyboard settings is the extended insert key checked? Here I have all 3 checked. I just tried it with the extended insert key with the others ctrl key + either up or down to ajust the volume

It worked nicely a little bit different but could be done with the one hand.

I guess i am just use to using 2 hands to do the same job.

by the way is your keyboard a full qwerty keyboard? I have seen machines that might have 2 insert keys or 2 extended insert keys but do not know what the second key is for unless it does the same job.The extended insert key on my qwerty keyboard is the zero key. maybe you are pressing the wrong one? or do you have it marked?

Gene nz

.

On 20/08/2017 20:17, anthony borg wrote:

Hi gene

I am aware that I have to press it twice, but the problem is that it doesn’t announce on or off, it just peeps.

If there is a way of how to do it announcing it,

Can you please explain to me how to do it?

Thanks in advance

Anthony