Re: Firefox has updated to 56 and its broken

Gene

I had at first assumed this is a bug.  Maybe it's something the designers consider some sort of convenience feature.  Whatever it is, it should be removed.  It is very bad practice to have a short cut combination do one thing when the modifier is held and another when it isn't held.  The only other instance I know of this, and in this one case, it makes sense to make an exception. is that holding the Windows key and typing r opens the run dialog.  Pressing and releasing the Windows key opens the start menu.

But there is no justification for having alt b work differently in Firefox and it isn't proper design.

From: Gene
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 7:24 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox has updated to 56 and its broken

If you use the command control I to open the bookmarks search field, NVDA automatically treats it as though it is in forms mode.  I don't know if it is, but it lets you type into the edit field.  if you simply issue control I again, the field should close and you will be back in the general browser.  Alt b does the same thing now, it toggles the search interface on and off.  Unless you are describing some other behavior, that is the behavior I've seen in the latest update available from Firefox now in the about dialog.  As I said, in the update I have. alt b now duplicates the action of control I when you hold alt and type b while doing so.

Also, if people don't know how to use the control I book marks search interface, that is one of the biggest advantages of Firefox unless you start talking about specialized add ons some people may really like.

If you issue the command control I and type a word or more than one word, then tab once, you will see one or more book marks.  All folders are searched so you don't have to worry about where the book mark is.

I have a number of New York Times book marks.  I don't want to bother organizing the order of book marks in the book marks menu.  I simply type something to show me the result I want efficiently.  There is a book mark that is titled Today's Paper.  I don't type all that.  I type apostrophe s then I space than I type pap as follows:
's pap
That's all I have to do.  I tab once, I down arrow to select the only result, and I press enter.

I often use the menu if book marks are convenient to get to by qquickly arrowing to them or with first letter navigation.  But anyone with more than a small number of book marks knows how limited these methods are to get to a lot of the book marks in the menu which aren't conveniently located to be moved to in these ways.

Also, after you press enter and are taken to the page, you can toggle off the interface with control I.  You will be taken to the page and you won't know the interface is still opened.  It doesn't automatically close and it doesn't get in the way of the page.  But it's good to close it to reduce clutter when you move around the firefox interface and so that you won't have the annoying situation of intending to open the search feature with control I and have nothing appear to happen.  If nothing appears to happen, that's very likely because you forgot to close it and you have just closed it now.

Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 7:08 AM

It asked me this morning and I let it do it, and the result was that on
opening, with no keyboard input, a panel comes up about bookmarks, but its
not an html screen so no virtual buffers.
 Slowly hitting tab eventually ends up in the browse mode on the page you
set up as start. However, whereas the previous 54 and 55 versions  always go
into focus mode if this page is a search engine, in 56 this does not occur,
leaving you to figure out if its shifte or e to get to that field, then
press enter to get into it. Its all very inconvenient. I have never ever
seen this weird bookmark panel before. Its most certainly not the bookmark
list or toolbar as we have had previously, and indeed as I say, no keyboard
entry is needed to  initiate it, its just there on start up.
 I got so annoyed in trying to find a place to put it back as it was, I
decided life was too short and put in 54 as this is the last executable
archive I had.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.