Re: voice pitch not changing when capitalizing a letter

i downloaded sapi5 from
www.espeak.sf.net

Oh OK, I must admit I hadn't looked too much into what other versions of
eSpeak where available to download, I apologise! Interesting, maybe it is
something which either doesn't affect XP, or only affects certain SAPI
voices.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 7:07 PM, nasrin khaksar <nasrinkhaksar3@...>
wrote:

quentin, i also installed sapi5 version of espeak, beside espeak which
is used in nvda and pitch change works for me with bad quality of
capital letters.

eSpeak is the default synthesizer that comes with NVDA. If you go into
the
synthesizer dialog - NVDA+control+s, you can change to other
synthesizers
you have on your system. Microsoft Speech API Version 5 (and on XP
Microsoft Speech API Version 4) are different to eSpeak.

I'm glad the conversation found you a useful setting in any case!

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:59 PM, nasrin khaksar <
nasrinkhaksar3@...>
wrote:

hi quentin.
i tested sapi5 version of espeak and i dont have this problem with it.
i dont like the quality of pitch changes in espeak sapi5 and set it to
0.
i also set 0% pitch change in espeak normal and checked say cap before
it.
thanks so much and God bless you.

Hi Jim,

NVDA has a voice settings option called "capital pitch change
percentage".
The idea being that as you are typing or reading letter by letter,
capital
letters are read in a higher (or lower) pitch to distinguish them.
There
are several other options for distinguishing capitals, being to beep
or
read "cap", all of which can be set independently of each other.

The issue is that when using either OneCore or SAPI voices, the
capital
pitch change option is ignored UNLESS say cap is also checked - and
then
it
does both.

Using eSpeak, the options all work as they should (capitals are
indicated
by pitch change even without say cap checked). I'm not sure about
other
synthesizers.

The issue I filed is: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/7514

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 4:27 AM, Jim Homme
<jhomme@...>
wrote:

Hi,

I subscribed to this list in the middle of this conversation, so
please
forgive me for asking this.

Can the person who had the problem please give me steps to
reproduce?
For
instance, I may be using a different synthesizer or voice or
program
or
keyboard or whatever, and I won’t be able to produce the issue. The
more
specific, the easier it is going to be to enter the bug and get a
fix.

Thanks.

Jim

==========

Jim Homme,

Team Lead and Accessibility Consultant,

Bender HighTest Accessibility Team

Bender Consulting Services, Inc.,

412-787-8567 <(412)%20787-8567>,

jhomme@...

http://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-
accessible-technology-solutions

E+R=O

*From:* nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *On Behalf
Of
*
Gene
*Sent:* Tuesday, August 22, 2017 2:25 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] voice pitch not changing when capitalizing a
letter

If change in pitch isn't audible unless some other indication is
on,
that
is a bug and evidently is now being looked into.