From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley23@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:09 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Libreoffice

Jarte is certainly still around.

From: Lino Morales
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I was going to ask about Jarte, but didn't know if that program is still around.

I think to summarise the thread, LibreOffice tends to be updated more often, and more features are accessible. Open Office is still being updated. I just downloaded the latest version to have another look at myself.

Re your user, if what they mostly need is a word processor rather than a full office suite, Jarte is a popular stand-alone word processor.

Another option is Google Docs and Google Sheets etc.

Yes there are potential bugs with the different office suites, and it depends on exactly what you need to do as to which will best suit your needs. For instance, yes the mouse bug I mentioned in LibreOffice causes a fairly bad crash, but if you are a user who doesn't use the mouse, then you won't encounter it.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

This is serious guys I am trying to teach someone here to use an office like program that is not expensive ms office, how am I supposed to use it if there are issues with it that may pop up, I havn't yet fully started with it but I am half on the way to getting them to spend the cash on ms office which they allready know, should I ignore libre and go back to openoffice, wps office or something else entirely.

On 23/08/2017 11:18 p.m., Walmir Schultz via Groups.Io wrote:

So, this is one more issue in using NVDA and LibreOffice.. together.

I've described many of them here, but don't expect them to be solved because apparently there is no communication between the developers of both software.

Em 22/08/2017 22:19, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

Using NVDA 2017.3 rc1 and LibreOffice Writer 5.3.4.2 I did the following:

- Opened Word 2016 (I didn't have an old Word 2003 document handy) and typed a few words, saved as Word 97 - 2003 format .doc.
- Opened LibreOffice Writer.
- Opened the document I'd saved.
- Read through document, added some text.
- Saved document, and when prompted, saved in Office 2003 format.

I did notice at that point, the NVDA seemed to lose focus. Pressing alt twice to go into the menu and back, or alt+tab to something else and back fixed the issue though.

I tried again and had no problems, although I got the lose focus thing at one point moving through the text. I didn't find a concrete way to reproduce that. It's annoying, but it didn't bring the system down or anything. The focus itself was still in the document, so I could still move around and edit, it was just that NVDA wasn't reading properly so I expect it wouldn't be evident with NVDA not running. Nothing untoward in the NVDA log though. I have noticed occasional issues with LibreOffice so not sure if this is related to using a Word 2003 doc, or just a general LIbreOffice thing.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 5:55 AM, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net <mailto:lmddh50@adams.net>> wrote:

Running NVDA 2017.3 RC1 on a Win 10 system.
Just installed LibreOffice and attempted to open and modify a MS
Office 2003 document. If I change the document and select to save
it as the original .doc file type it crashes LibreOffice to the
point of needing a hard reboot to clear it. Is this a known issue
with trying to use LibreOffice with Microsoft Office documents?
Thanks

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
Twitter: @NVAccess

--

www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess