From: "Георги Ламбов" <obichamlegiona@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Libreoffice

But only reads it. As good as I know can't create documents in the microsoft formats.

Georgi
На 24.8.2017 г. в 12:14 ч., Shaun Everiss написа:
jarte supports docx format.

You do need the fileconverters for office as well as the microsoft office filter pack.

And the compatibility pack updates.

At minimal.

There are older converters that you need for older office files to for extras I have those somewhere.

Now and this is quite important, if you ever need to use a real ms office in the future, you must remove all office filters and converters before installing it because if you don't when office or windows updates it will basically scrub associations needing a repair every time you update.

I assume the compatibility file converters clash with the newer office stuff.

If you get stuck with this cycle you need to remove all converters then do a quick repair of office.

With this done things will work again as expected, there isn't this anywhere I have seen but still.

On 24/08/2017 3:49 p.m., nasrin khaksar wrote:
jarte does not support docx format.
i think that you can only save your files as rtf, but i am not sure.
moreover, unfortunately wps office is commercial, not free!

On 8/24/17, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks sir. I'll check it out.

Yes Jarte is still around: http://www.jarte.com/

I haven't been paying attention so I can't tell you exactly how often
it's updated, but the current download is version 6.1.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Lino Morales
<linomorales001@gmail.com <mailto:linomorales001@gmail.com>> wrote:

I was going to ask about Jarte, but didn't know if that program is
still around.

I think to summarise the thread, LibreOffice tends to be updated
more often, and more features are accessible. Open Office is
still being updated. I just downloaded the latest version to
have another look at myself.

Re your user, if what they mostly need is a word processor rather
than a full office suite, Jarte is a popular stand-alone word
processor.

Another option is Google Docs and Google Sheets etc.

Yes there are potential bugs with the different office suites,
and it depends on exactly what you need to do as to which will
best suit your needs. For instance, yes the mouse bug I
mentioned in LibreOffice causes a fairly bad crash, but if you
are a user who doesn't use the mouse, then you won't encounter it.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Shaun Everiss
<sm.everiss@gmail.com <mailto:sm.everiss@gmail.com>> wrote:

This is serious guys I am trying to teach someone here to use
an office like program that is not expensive ms office, how
am I supposed to use it if there are issues with it that may
pop up, I havn't yet fully started with it but I am half on
the way to getting them to spend the cash on ms office which
they allready know, should I ignore libre and go back to
openoffice, wps office or something else entirely.

On 23/08/2017 11:18 p.m., Walmir Schultz via Groups.Io wrote:

So, this is one more issue in using NVDA and
LibreOffice.. together.

I've described many of them here, but don't expect them
to be solved because apparently there is no communication
between the developers of both software.

Em 22/08/2017 22:19, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

Using NVDA 2017.3 rc1 and LibreOffice Writer 5.3.4.2
I did the following:

- Opened Word 2016 (I didn't have an old Word 2003
document handy) and typed a few words, saved as Word
97 - 2003 format .doc.
- Opened LibreOffice Writer.
- Opened the document I'd saved.
- Read through document, added some text.
- Saved document, and when prompted, saved in Office
2003 format.

I did notice at that point, the NVDA seemed to lose
focus. Pressing alt twice to go into the menu and
back, or alt+tab to something else and back fixed the
issue though.

I tried again and had no problems, although I got the
lose focus thing at one point moving through the
text. I didn't find a concrete way to reproduce
that. It's annoying, but it didn't bring the system
down or anything. The focus itself was still in the
document, so I could still move around and edit, it
was just that NVDA wasn't reading properly so I
expect it wouldn't be evident with NVDA not running.
Nothing untoward in the NVDA log though. I have
noticed occasional issues with LibreOffice so not
sure if this is related to using a Word 2003 doc, or
just a general LIbreOffice thing.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 5:55 AM, Don H
<lmddh50@adams.net <mailto:lmddh50@adams.net>
<mailto:lmddh50@adams.net
<mailto:lmddh50@adams.net>>> wrote:

Running NVDA 2017.3 RC1 on a Win 10 system.
Just installed LibreOffice and attempted to open
and modify a MS
Office 2003 document. If I change the document
and select to save
it as the original .doc file type it crashes
LibreOffice to the
point of needing a hard reboot to clear it. Is
this a known issue
with trying to use LibreOffice with Microsoft
Office documents?
Thanks

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA
E-Books now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
<tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306>
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.nvaccess.org/>