Re: Access, teaching and concepts for blind use of computers, was Cutting and pasting from wordpad to word in various modes

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Just catching up on this one.
The problem was highlighted recently when I needed someone specifically to help me interpret what a sighted user was actually doing into my keyboard orientated world. You are right that most sighted users not only do not know the keyboard shortcuts, but worse, do not understand the concepts of what they are actually doing when dragging files about and selecting folders to put stuff in, many just accepting defaults set up on an install. This comes to a head when a sighted relative uses a blind configured computer as they may use a click that reset something you had painstakingly altered, many months back and since they do not tell you you then need to fiddle for ages to get your functionality back.

All of these things are windows, not screenreader commands, normally.
I notice that in Supernova, there is a separate chapter on windows conventions and shortcuts and how different settings of windows can affect the user like us.
I guess the single and double click alterations is one of the main ones that gets moved quite often.

Unfortunately, in all the different flavours of windows, the way to get at settings changes somewhat.
I also have issues with concepts when they change. I do not like ribbon menus for blind use. I have had them explained until steam is coming out of a tutors ears, but as I learned on logical normal pull down menus. Ribbons seems a bit of a mess, putting all sorts of things I have thought were different, together in one big 'pudding'. So toolbars, property sheets sub menus and all sorts of stuff comes up unexpectedly as the brain has partitioned these objects as different things not likely to be in the menu system directly.

I use things like control/shift no for new folder which seems to be something my sighted colleagues never even knew was possible and the like, so, I guess I have a foot in many camps and the challenge is to attempt to cater for people like me who do not like change to concepts. That is one reason I do not like the new apps in Windows 10, as they seem to be a step back in time to a non standard as you like approach to software we had in the old Dos days. If we can no longer rely on finding things where we always used to, it will be very hard to teach anyone how to use them if the interface changes every time an update comes out.

Its about time that accessibility was not just seen as, yes you can get at and operate a button or control, but that there needs to be some underlying logic and short cut key set everyone uses. Its like many web sites which claim to be accessible as everything reads, but its so big and messy that without an overview as the sighted has, the poor old blind user is completely at sea as to what else might be on the page in a stupid place.
I feel better now.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.