Re: a good program for reading pdf files

Domingos de Oliveira <domingos20000@...>

I'm teaching people how to make PDFs accessible. It's rather complicated and expensive. I think, Adobe did't do a good job. It has to be much easier.

Am 27.08.2017 um 08:40 schrieb Shaun Everiss:

What really gets me is that a little while ago I was envolved in an adobe test group where adobe showed off all the accessible things pdfs can do, it could be the new flash if people wrote for them.

And for the most part tagging asside its fine even with protection but to many write them stupidly or use things like pagemaker which doesn't work and then there are scanned pdfs which just don't work.

And for the person with abbyy try updating it maybe there is one.

On 27/08/2017 9:14 a.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Adobe reader is still free.
Its not so much the reading of them that is the main issue, its the attitude and knowledge of those making pdfs that has to change.
All too often files are untagged for changes in reading order, say when different numbers of columns exist through the document or in some cases people simply scan in a picture of text and make the whole pdf an unreadable document without eyes, and often its so badly scanned that OCR makes it into Klingon.

If you want a text based pdf reader, you could do far worse than the one on the webbie web site. It just works. It has no way to correct for the madness of the file creator though....
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-