Re: can't get abbyy fine reader to work

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'll probably have to reinstall my copy too. It came with the printer software I have.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2017 12:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] can't get abbyy fine reader to work

I had no problem setting up ABBYY and using it to scan PDFs or jpg images. I originally used a cracked copy of the program I found on ThePirateBay, but eventually purchased a legal copy, which cost me £99 I think.

After I installed the legal copy I ran into a problem similar to the one you described. It opened a document for OCR fine, but when it tried to output it to a Word document it crashed. I asked their tech support for advice, and they suggested simply reinstalling it, which I did and it's worked fine ever since.

I've never tried scanning and OCRing using ABBYY, but I've got a new scanner arriving next week so will hopefully give it a whirl :)

Yes, £99 or the dollar equivalent is quite pricey, but I find it the best OCR conversion tool I've got. I bought the KNFB Reader recently while it was on offer, and find ABBYY easier to use.

Here's the link to the Finereader program, and I notive that the price for version 14 is now £169, which I'd probably have been reluctant to pay when I bought my copy!
https://www.abbyy.com/en-eu/finereader/

Giles