Re: Browse Mode vs Focus Mode Sound

Brian's Mail list account BY <bglists@...>

If you turn the sounds off, it will revert to spoken mode changes.I found that these were not reliable for some reason, so I put the sounds back on. The clunky sound is Focus mode, the tone is browse mode.

As for use in Word. Not really found a great deal of use for them in that program as yet.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2016 5:17 AM
Subject: [nvda] Browse Mode vs Focus Mode Sound

Hello All,

I am trying to work a bit more with Browse Mode and Focus Mode, particularly in the context of an MS-Word document, which is giving me more than a bit of trouble as far as wrapping my head around what I should be doing.

One of the first things I'm trying to determine is what mode goes with what cueing sound. When you hit NVDA+space to switch modes, where and when you can switch them, one sound is a chime and the other is an electronic "cheep" of sorts. Which sound indicates which mode? I was expecting a verbal cue like "browse mode on" or "focus mode on" but that's not what I'm getting.

Also, I have a 52-page MS-Word document that's chock full of hyperlinks. When I'm in what I believe is browse mode and I hit NVDA+F7 I get the announcement regarding the Elements List, but no dialog box appears like it does if I'm trying the same thing in a webpage. I thought I would be able to get a set of links showing like I do if I'm in Chrome or Firefox looking at a webpage, but instead listing all the links within the document, but the dialog box never appears even though it's announced.

I'm using NVDA 2016.1 and Microsoft Word 2010 running on a Windows 10 Home, 64-bit machine. Any guidance or assistance would be much appreciated.

Brian

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.