NVDA and friends

Damien Garwood

Hi,
It’s rare, but wondering if anyone else has stumbled across this.
Sometimes NVDA will seem to just lose control. There is no pattern as to when this could happen, though it does seem to happen a lot at system startup. The “NVDA” key no longer executes NVDA functions and speech will become rather rusty, not speaking some things at all and not interrupting prior messages. In these cases I either have to completely kill it with task manager or run NVDA with the –q or -r switches. Then again, there was a rare problem where the –r switch sometimes didn’t fix the issue, you literally had to use -q (or the actual exit option if you could get to it) and restart it manually. Not sure if this was the same problem, but still. Seems pretty bizarre.
Also, what are all the executables for? During normal operation, I see three in the task manager, nvda.exe, nvda_eoaProxy.exe and nvdaHelperRemoteLoader.exe. In addition in the NVDA directory, there is nvda_service.exe, nvda_slave.exe, nvda_noUIAccess.exe and nvda_UIAccess.exe. I’m guessing the latter two are different builds of nvda.exe?
Incidentally, unloading nvdaHelperRemoteLoader.exe seems to disable keyboard echo for a lot of things. Wondering if another of its components crashing or freezing or whatever is causing the other problems?
I have recently started running NVDA in debugging mode to try and figure out what exactly causes these bizarre issues, haven’t found anything of yet. Especially since it is quite rare that it happens.
Cheers.
Damien.