From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph
Lee
Sent: August-30-17 9:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Important announcement: NVDA 2017.3 is the last version to
support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

Dear NVDA community:

If you are using one of the following Windows versions, please read the
following statement from NV Access (just published):

* Windows XP
* Windows Server 2003
* Windows Vista
* Windows Server 2008
* Windows 7 without service pack 1

The announcement link:

https://www.nvaccess.org/post/nvda-2017-4-drops-support-for-older-operating-
systems/

Background: for a number of years, NV Access and other developers received
tons of reports about browse mode not being available when you restart NVDA
while using Firefox and some browsers. NV Access wrote a fix for it, but it
used a routine not found in older operating systems (specifically, Windows
XP). Porting the new routine is costly, especially when developers cannot
guarantee that it'll work for everyone. Because the fix impacts many
people,
coupled with the support status of the Windows versions listed above,
coupled with the fact that Firefox and some popular programs ended support
for old Windows releases (including some screen readers), NV Access has
decided to end support for old Windows releases with NVDA 2017.3. 2017.3
will still be made available for download for people who need to use old
Windows versions.

Thus, the following advisory from the community is in effect:

* If you are using Windows versions listed above, turn off automatic
NVDA updates (NVDA menu/Preferences/General, then uncheck the update
checkbox).
* For those using some add-ons, read follow-up advisories regarding
support for old Windows releases from add-ons from add-on writers (for
those
using add-ons such as Resource Monitor, I will publish an advisory next
week).

Thank you.

Cheers,

Joseph