From: "Akbar S. Currim" <raahzam@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop

I retried the update with the same result and installation failed.
The update downloaded fine and then stated that my existing copy would
be updated and asked me to click OK which I did. After that I keep
getting a message saying "please wait-your existing copy of NVDA is
being updated" and this goes on repeating with simultaneous beeps
indefinitely untill finally it says that the update installation
failed. How do I get over this problem? Should I remove the existing
copy of NVDA and install a fresh copy from scratch?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a portable copy from my other
laptop which has a proper working version and try to reinstall from
that? In that case if it is possible, then I would be spared from
reconfiguring NVDA all over again to suit my needs.
Thanks,
Akbar

On 8/29/17, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@gmail.com> wrote:
I got no such notification on either of the laptops. Anyway I will
try your suggestion tomorrow as I am travelling now. Will get back to
you after that with the result.

Thanks,

Akbar

On 8/29/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
When you go to install a program, Windows pops up a dialog advising that
you are about to change the system and you need to accept that before you
can install the program. Sometimes this dialog appears behind other
windows. In that case, you may need to alt+tab to it if it doesn't seem
appear.

That is usually the reason for this kind of problem.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I tried to install NVDA17.3 on my HP laptop and although I could
download the new version without any difficulty and also after
clicking to install it when I got the message to do so the configuring
progress went on and on for at least 20 minutes and after that I got
an error message saying that the installation failed. I tried the
same thing three times with the same result. Could someone please
enlighten me as to what is happening and how I could remedy the same.

Incidentally I had no problem updating NVDA on my second laptop which
is an Asus. Both laptops are running Win 10 duly updated to the
latest version. On the second laptop the installation took only a few
minutes and there was no problem at all.

I give below the log I received for the installation failure. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Akbar

Log for failure:
INFO - __main__ (10:41:42.874):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.140):
Config dir: C:\Users\Akbar\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (10:41:43.140):
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
NVDA version 2017.3
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,
20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (10:41:43.940):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.940):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Using liblouis version 3.2.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (10:41:43.940):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
WARNING - core.main (10:41:43.994):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (10:41:43.994):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - core.main (10:41:45.861):
NVDA initialized
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.197):
Failed to execute installer
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui\installerGui.pyo", line 32, in doInstall
File "config\__init__.pyo", line 182, in execElevated
File "shellapi.pyo", line 42, in ShellExecuteEx
WindowsError: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the user.
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.198):
Installation failed: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the
user.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager