Re: how to set edge brouser to google

anthony borg

OK THANKS CHRIS, I  WILL TRY TO DO IT, I HOPE THIS TIME I SUCCEED.

THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP,

ALL THE BEST

ANTHONY

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: 31 August 2017 13:15
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to set edge brouser to google

Hi Anthony

Ok, open Edge then press f4 to move to the address bar, type ‘google.com’ and press enter to load the google site page.  Now follow the instructions I gave you up to the point where you select the search engine from the list.  Make a note of which engine in the list is announced as being the default.  It should be google if you followed the instructions correctly.  At this point email me back and let me know how things worked, then we will move on from that point.

If you want to take this off-list , email me back on cjmullins29@...

Cheers

Chris     

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of anthony borg
Sent: 31 August 2017 10:51

Hi chris

I tried to set the edge brouser to google according to your instructions, but I have might done something wrong.

Because evrytime I open it it says search web address closed.

Now can you please explain to me what I should do to make it working again?

Thanks in advance for your help

Anthony

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Chris Mullins
Sent: 30 August 2017 23:35

Hi Arlene

It depends how you have configured IE.  The  default search engine I’m describing in my post is what is used whenever yu search using the address bar.  In IE you configure this in the Manage add-ons entry of the tools menu, in Edge you do it as I described.  In all browsers, you can also specify google.com as your home page and use the google search engine from there.   The more modern browsers like Chrome, Firefox and Edge have introduced Start-up pages as well as having the home page and address bar.  The start-up pages are displayed when you first open the browser, the home pages are displayed whenever you press alt+home  and the address bar is accessed using alt+d for entering URL’s or searches.  I think it is important to understand the distinction between them to enable you to utilise the available features when configuring your browsers of choice.     

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Arlene
Sent: 30 August 2017 19:27

Is this is what you have to do when you use Google or any other search engine if you are on Edge? Or can you just do it like you would in 7 just go to IE and type in your search?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of anthony borg
Sent: August-30-17 11:14 AM

Oh many thanks chris, for the instructions, I really appreciated.

Best regards

Anthony  

Sent: 30 August 2017 18:46

Hi Scot

The instructions you have given will open a page when you first open Edge rather than set the default search engine.  I have included what I sent to Anthony to do this.

Anthony

This is not difficult to do but there are quite a few steps to doing it and the buttons you want are quite a long way down the settings pages, so be prepared to do a lot of tabbing.

1. Open the Edge browser
  2. Press alt+x
  3. Press up arrow once and you should land on ‘Settings’, press enter
  4. Press tab repeatedly until you find ‘View Advanced Settings’ button, then press enter
  5. Press tab repeatedly until you find ‘Change search Engine’ button, then press enter
  6. Use tab key to find list of available engines, then use up/down arrows to navigate list
  7. Select the engine you want, press tab once and press enter on the ‘set as default’ button         
  8. Press tab and find the ‘Back’ button then press enter
  9. Use tab and  find the ‘Back’ button on the next screenand press enter
  10. You should now be back on the ‘View Advanced Settings’ button, press escape button (top left of your keyboard)
  11. You should now be on the ‘Settings and More’ button, press tab and you will return to the web page you were viewing before you edited Settings

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott VanDeWalle
Sent: 30 August 2017 15:39

Hi.

I will try to help you.

I don’t know all there is to know so I had to try this one for myself to make sure it worked.

Open Microsoft edge.

From the address bar which you can get to by pressing control d, tab until you here settings and more and press space to enter that option.
Then tab again until you get to another icon called settings and hit spacebar again.

Tab until you hear open Microsoft edge with.

There are three options there, but the one you want is a specific page.

Arrow down until you hear nvda say a specific page then tab and type in the url of the site you want.

Then tab to save.

That should be it.

Let me know how that works and good luck.

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 5:21 AM

Hi scott

Sorry to trouble you again, can you please explain to me how to set edge brouser to google?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott VanDeWalle
Sent: 29 August 2017 02:02
Subject: how to set edge brouser to google

You are welcome, I’m glad I could help.

Have a nice day.

Scott

Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 5:38 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to create an edge brouser shortcut on the desktop?

Hi, Scott,

Thanks for the tip on creating a desktop shortcut for microsoft edge. I tried doing it the way I was used to doing it in other programs by typing "edge" in the start search box and using the applications key but that didn't work. Thanks again for this tip.

Rosemarie

Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] how to create an edge brouser shortcut on the desktop?

Hi Anthony.

1: press windows key and r for the run dialogue

2: Type shell:appsfolder and hit enter

3: When the list of programs pops up use first letter navigation letter m until you hear Microsoft edge.

4: Hit the context menu key or shift f 10.

5: Arrow until you find create shortcut and hit enter.

6: You will be told that the shortcut can not be created here and it will ask you if you want to place it on the desktop instead.

7: Tab to the yes button and hit enter.

And there you go.

Note: you can name the newly created icon anything you want.

I hope this helps.

Have a nice day

Scott

Sent: Monday, August 28, 2017 11:00 AM
Subject: [nvda] how to create an edge brouser shortcut on the desktop?

Hi folks,

Can anyone explain to me how to create a shortcut of the edge brouser on the desktop please?

Any help would be appreciate it. >

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.