Re: Important announcement: NVDA 2017.3 is the last version to support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

kavein thran

change is constant, and only if we are ready to adapt, we can
progress, I fully wellcome this. In result of this transformation, we
can adapt newer codes and modern programming methods.

thanks

On 8/31/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
nasrin

It wasn't that browse mode wouldn't run. there has been a long standing
problem that, if NVDA freezes and runs again, or if you unload and reload
and rerun NVDA when a browser is opened, browse mode won't be available.
This necessitates closing and opening the browser again, which can be
annoying. The developers want to correct this problem but continued support
for XP makes it much harder to do. And, as you see, there are many other
reasons to discontinue support. One significant program that no longer runs
in XP is Drop Box, which wasn't mentioned in Antony's comments. The Drop
Box site isn't fully accessible and its design makes it very inefficient to
work with using a browser. For many users that's a very important issue.
And at some point, I don't know when, antimalware designers will drop
support for XP. Fortunately, many haven't done so yet and may not as a
public service for quite some time, but it will happen at some point.

Modern peripherals, printers, scanners, perhaps external sound cards, and I
would think others I haven't thought of, no longer support XP. You have to
use old ones, which are going to become increasingly hard to find over time
in the used market and increasingly less reliable as they age. You will
still be able to use the current version of XP which is very capable and
which will meett many peoples' needs who use XP well or reasonably well for
quite some time. And I recall you saying you didn't intend to upgrade from
17.2 ever because its so wonderful. So why do you say this is such bad news
for you? You don't even intend to use the latest available version.

Gene