Re: Important announcement: NVDA 2017.3 is the last version to support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

Bhavya shah

Hi Brian,
4% of NVDA users are still on Windows XP.
Thanks.

Although I'm sad. The writing is on the wall and has been for some time. I
personally do not think too much risk is there for users if you are careful.

The sad fact is that the hoops that one has to jump through to get features

to work on later systems while detecting the earlier ones where it cannot be

implemented is kind of self defeating.
It might be probably better if there are people interested in developing
some extras for nvda in xp and vista, if a dedicated band of programmers do

this as I think I posted earlier today.

I'd have ideally liked to have had a warning first though, so people could
put things in place like changing machines. I do see though that if you look

around the world for machines for second users on the cheap not many are
offered with xp.. You have a lot on 7. I think NV Access know how many
machines are running what systems from what comes back from the downloder
system I'd imagine. After all when you go on web sites these days nearly all

of them tell you what operating system you have and what browser you have
and direct you to the right download. I don't think Nv Access would take
this decision lightly if a significant number still use xp.
However why not set up a mail list for interested XP parties and see what
happens. if enough people are affected, I'm sure nv access would listen to
you.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.