From: "Lino Morales" <linomorales001@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 6:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Important announcement: NVDA 2017.3 is the last version to support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

I agree with Gean except ofr your observation on Dropbox's site. Ive had
no problems with it. I'm considering ditching my free account anyway due
to that fact 1 Drive is part of WIN 10. I don't see the need to have 2
file sharing services.

On 8/31/2017 10:59 AM, Gene wrote:
nasrin
It wasn't that browse mode wouldn't run. there has been a long
standing problem that, if NVDA freezes and runs again, or if you
unload and reload and rerun NVDA when a browser is opened, browse mode
won't be available. This necessitates closing and opening the browser
again, which can be annoying. The developers want to correct this
problem but continued support for XP makes it much harder to do. And,
as you see, there are many other reasons to discontinue support. One
significant program that no longer runs in XP is Drop Box, which
wasn't mentioned in Antony's comments. The Drop Box site isn't fully
accessible and its design makes it very inefficient to work with using
a browser. For many users that's a very important issue. And at some
point, I don't know when, antimalware designers will drop support for
XP. Fortunately, many haven't done so yet and may not as a public
service for quite some time, but it will happen at some point.
Modern peripherals, printers, scanners, perhaps external sound cards,
and I would think others I haven't thought of, no longer support XP.
You have to use old ones, which are going to become increasingly hard
to find over time in the used market and increasingly less reliable as
they age. You will still be able to use the current version of XP
which is very capable and which will meett many peoples' needs who use
XP well or reasonably well for quite some time. And I recall you
saying you didn't intend to upgrade from 17.2 ever because its so
wonderful. So why do you say this is such bad news for you? You don't
even intend to use the latest available version.
Gene