Re: Important announcement: NVDA 2017.3 is the last version to support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

If you are visually impaired you are allowed to download it for free as before. That is unless they have removed the page in the last two weeks.
I think you have to have a legal copy of windows 7 or8 though, and I'm not aware of how you prove it as I last did it some time aback. I currently have no windows 10 machine that works as I installed it on an old amd chipped machine whos motherboard died when a power supply blue up after a mains surge. I intend to buy a new laptop before Christmas and that will come with 10, and although I ham a little worried about the current trend toward no keypad and function keys configured as media keys, I imagine the latter can be fixed by a sighted person going into the bios.
If it has the deregistered dll files recently encountered on the cloned Lenovo and other makes then that seems to be a fixable problem now with perhaps a batch file or script.
I'd like a laptop with keypad, merely cos I'm lazy, and despite what a certain Jonathan Mozen might say to try to convince me otherwise!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2017 2:34 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Important announcement: NVDA 2017.3 is the last version to support Windows versions prior to 7 and Server 2008 R2 service pack 1

Please explain "You can get Windows 10 for free since you're a NVDA user".

How? Where?

Regards,

Antony.

On Saturday 02 September 2017 at 02:47:48, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:

I agree with everyone here. Windows XP is dead since 2014; Freedom
Scientific (now part of VFO) stopped supporting XP since Jaws 16.
Microsoft Office dropped Windows XP support since Office 2013, which is
released more than a full year before end of life for Windows XP. You can
get Windows 10 for free since you're a NVDA user, and if you need a new
computer, there's second-hand computers that comes with Windows 7 (more
recent ones should have SP1 installed) cheaply.
--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.