Re: question about carriage returns vs line feeds in NVDA

Antony Stone

Yes, there is a difference between the two, and it matters when sending files
between different types of computers.

Windows uses simply Carriage Return (hex code 0d) to indicate end of line.

Macintosh computers used to use just Line Feed (hex code 0a); I don't know
whether this changed when they migrated from MacOS to OSX.

Linux and Unix computers use both together, so the hex code is 0d 0a, to
indicate end of line.

The reason for the two codes is historical - teletypes and printers used one
code to mean "return the print head to the start of the line" (that's Carriage
Return), and the other to mean "move the paper up one line" (that's line

This made it possible to print a line, return to the start without moving the
paper, and then print again over the top of the first line, used for creating
bold print, composite characters, etc.



On Monday 04 September 2017 at 12:56:22, Mohamed wrote:

Hi, I noticed that, depending on the text editor in use at the time,
NVDA will sometimes say either "carriage return" or "Line feed" to
indicate new lines. Since they seem to serve similar purposes, I wonder
if there is actually a difference between the two?
Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes - they are "zero rated".
Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are classed as "luxury items" and are
subject to VAT. McVitie's classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991 this
was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise in court.

The question which had to be answered was what criteria should be used to
class something as a cake or a biscuit. McVitie's defended the classification
of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by arguing that cakes go hard when stale, whereas
biscuits go soft. It was demonstrated that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale
and McVitie's won the case.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Join to automatically receive all group messages.