Re: getting messages to automatically read in outlook when using NVDA


Gene
 

I meant what I said, that I read mail as plain text because it is safer.  I don't know if reading mail as html exposes the user to much risk but plain text is safer.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting messages to automatically read in outlook when using NVDA

Gene,

Did you mean to write “I read mail in HTML as it is the safe way to read mail?”

Thanks

Blessings

Pascal

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, September 4, 2017 4:45 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting messages to automatically read in outlook when using NVDA

 

Are you reading mail as plain text or as HTML?  NVDA has a feature called automatic read on page load.  It is in the browse mode settings.  But it is checked by default.  I don't read mail as HTML because that is the safest way to read it.  No malicious code can run.  But I just found out today from a message from someone, I believe on another List, that Thunderbird has an HTML setting that shows mail as HTML but doesn't allow any code to run. 

 

I don't know what program you are using, but, as I've said before, there are times when simply getting in the habit of executing a command can save you time and trouble.  When I do a search on an Internet page, I issue the read current line command after I do the search to avoid reading of extraneous text.  After a little while, it's second nature.  I read mail in plain text in my e-mail program.  I've been using the read to end command after I move to a new message for years.  It's second nature. 

 

Screen-readers take a way of displaying information that isn't intended for use with screen-readers and makes the information accessible.  At times, something isn't going to work perfectly.  Computer operating systems aren't made by blind people and screen-readers work remarkably well with them.  Take it or leave it, my advice, based on nineteen or twenty years of experience with Windows is that you will save a lot of trouble if you adopt such procedures when they are minimal, as I've been describing and not spend time and trouble being a perfectionist about how this or this minor problem should work in a perfect world.

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Casey

Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 3:21 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] getting messages to automatically read in outlook when using NVDA

 

Hi sorry about that.
When I am using Jaws and delete the message I am currently reading.
It will open the next one and read it right away.
Now when I use NVDA and delete the message that I am reading.
And it will open the next one but I have to hit the NVDA key and down arrow
then it will read the message.
So I hope that clears that up.
How do I make NVDA do what Jaws does when reading and deleting A message and
moving on to the next message and having it read it?




-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony
Stone
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 8:49 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] getting messages to automatically read in outlook when
using NVDA

I'm not quite sure what the problem is here.  You say that with JAWS:

"I can open a message and then read it and hit control delete and I will go
on
to the next message".

I assume you mean it's deleted the first message as well.

Then you say that with NVDA:

"I can do this it will delete the message that I just read, but then it will

open the next one"

You then say you have to use NVDA-down to actually read that message.

Maybe it's just because of the different wording you've used, but what's the

difference between JAWS, which "goes on to the next message", and NVDA,
which
"deletes the message you just read and then opens the next one"?

To me these things sound the same.


Antony.

On Monday 04 September 2017 at 15:39:23, Casey wrote:

> Hi when I am using Jaws and the latest version of outlook.
>
> I can open A message and then read it and hit control delete and I will go
> on to the next message.
>
> Now if I use NVDA I can do this it will delete the message that I just
> read.
>
> But then it will open the next on and I will have to use the NVDA key and
> down arrow to read the next message.
>
> Can you get an add on that will fix that or is that just the way things
> work with that screen reader?

--
Most people have more than the average number of legs.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC
me.




Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.