From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvda remote host

It's not for security reasons - it's for simple technical reasons. Most
people's computers are not on public IP addresses; they're on private
addresses, able to connect to the Internet through a router. The router is a
one-way device - computers on the private network can connect to the Internet
(and the replies can come back again), but without some slightly complicated
fiddling around with the router settings, no-one out on the Internet can
connect to a computer on the private network.

Therefore two computers on networks like this cannot connect to each other,
however both can connect to a server which is on a public IP address,
therefore that's why the remote host machine is needed.

The two computers on private networks connect to the host on a public IP
address, and it can reply back to each of those machines, therefore it can
bridge the connection and the two private machines end up talking to each
other, which they could not do directly.

In fact, if you do have two computers on a single network which want to use
the NVDA Remote Addon and can talk directly between themselves, you can do
this - you just put each computer's IP address into the settings on the other
machine, and they communicate directly without the need for the remote host.

So, if the two computers can talk to each other directly, NVDA Remote allows
this, but if they can't, the remote host server enables the connection.

Regards,

Antony.

On Tuesday 05 September 2017 at 09:47:12, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

I have to say that I really do not understand why remote works this way
through a host. Is it something obvious?
Since I've not had cause to use it myself as yet it seems just a bit
complex. Is it security or for other reasons that the two interconnected
machines do not talk directly to each other?