Re: Focus changes that NVDA doesn't seem to notice

Quentin Christensen

Which version of Windows are you using?  And from the way you've written, I assume Chrome is just an example - it also happens if you open NotePad or Word or Calculator or anything else?

On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 4:33 PM, Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hi!
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the following phenomenon. Soon after starting Windows, I launch a program, let's say Chrome, and get no feedback whatsoever about it. In particular, the Chrome window title is not announced, and neither is the address bar. To test what NVDA is seeing, I press NVDA+t, and it says "Explorer." However, maintaining the hypothesis that Chrome indeed has focus, I type a web address and press enter, and indeed the site opens in Chrome and is read properly by NVDA.
So, a new window became active, and keyboard focus was on a specific control within this window, but NVDA did not detect this. The NVDA log shows no irregularities.
Any idea what might be going on and how the effect could be prevented? Is it a known fact that Windows sometimes does not raise such important events? Or might there be a timing issue in which NVDA is temporarily overloaded and thus fails to track them? Would that not generate log entries?
Kind regards,
Felix

--
Quentin Christensen