Re: Accessible antivirus programs

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

And, here's the other side of the coin.

It's possible they're being banned, because they uncovered us spy software built into most hard drives.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyberspying/russian-researchers-expose-breakthrough-u-s-spying-program-idUSKBN0LK1QV20150216

On 9/14/2017 10:26 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Mallard,

Here are just a few citations of this issue.  It's not some weird
conspiracy theory.

From Washington Post US Moves To Ban Kaspersky Software

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-to-ban-use-of-kaspersky-software-in-federal-agencies-amid-concerns-of-russian-espionage/2017/09/13/36b717d0-989e-11e7-82e4-f1076f6d6152_story.html

Ban On Software From BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41262049

From NY Times The Russian Company ThatIs A Danger To Our Security

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/opinion/kapersky-russia-cybersecurity.html

On 9/14/2017 4:06 AM, Mallard wrote:
Gosh, sounds like when in Italy priests told the people that
communists ate children! ROFL!

Kaspersky is quite good, in fact. Only a bit cumbersome, if anything.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 14/09/2017 04:37, Ron Canazzi ha scritto:

Hi Quentin and Group,

Be ware of Kapersky!  It was all over the mainstream media that
Kaspersky is from a Russian company and it may pose a threat. Some
businesses and supposedly the NSA are worried that Kaspersky could
contain Trojans or Key loggers.

I must admit, on Windows 10, I also use the built in Defender from
Microsoft.  This question does come up regularly though, so here are
my notes from the last round of conversations on this earlier this
year:

There are several anti-virus programs which are accessible with NVDA
and some which are partly accessible:

Windows Defender comes with Windows 10 from Microsoft and is
accessible.

One user, David Goldfield, has written a comprehensive review of
Kaspersky Anti-Virus:
https://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/kaspersky-antivirus-a-review-for-screen-reader-users/
<https://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2016/11/16/kaspersky-antivirus-a-review-for-screen-reader-users/>

Another user, Gene, has put together a whole site of information and
suggestions, including for anti-virus:
http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda_road_tested_programs.html
<http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda_road_tested_programs.html>

Sonos is another anti-virus which has been recommended by some of
our users: https://www.sophos.com/lp/sophos-home.aspx
<https://www.sophos.com/lp/sophos-home.aspx>

If anyone checks those and finds the information out of date, or has
others to add, please do chime in!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com
<mailto:marrie12@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Agreed. I just use what comes with my machine which is defender.
    If you use come sense you won't get a virus.
    On Sep 13, 2017, at 2:45 PM, Randy Barnett <randy@soundtique.net
    <mailto:randy@soundtique.net>> wrote:

    MS Defender is sufficient. I have not had a virus for over 22
    years...
    Too much hype out there...
    On 9/13/2017 2:24 PM, Greg Rhodes wrote:
    Looking for an NVDA-friendly paid antivirus program. Suggestions?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now

Twitter: @NVAccess
--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"