Re: blackboard

Sarah k Alawami

Docuscan will also work for that, or you can talk to the professor. Most are willing to work with you in providing text version of the pdfs, Mine have ben more than wonderful over the years. Some won't be, but not much you can do about that besides make a complaint to your DRC.

On Sep 14, 2017, at 11:38 AM, Marshall handheld Flax <m.droid.flax@...> wrote:

In general, Openbook usually works fairly well for handling the "scanned" pdfs that professors often upload to Blackboard.  I don't know of a more affordable approach, though :-(

Marshall

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:01 PM, Arlene <nedster66@...>wrote:

Yes, I knew a friend on FB was asking if it’s accessable with Jaws. They say it is.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: September-14-17 8:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] blackboard

I'm really interested in this thread because I'm intending to go back to Swansea Uni, where I did my BSc in chemistry back in the 1990s, and study for MA in creative writing. I know they use Blackboard so have been browsing around to get an idea about how accessible it is.

From what I've read it should be fine though, as Erik says, it very much depends on the professors using it accessibly. This comes up in an AFB post about how blind students find Blackboard, http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw160702

I know at Swansea, a UK uni, there is a disability office that handles transcriptions of any textbooks or handouts that aren't available electronically, and will step in if anything accessibility related is hindering your chances of successfully completing your studies. I'm optimistic that Blackboard will be sufficiently useable when I get there :)