locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Pete <emac00@...>

Some people like the speech player ad don, it gives more flexibility in the way one can configure voices.
It's been a while since I searched around for software synthesizers.
I have an old i s a DEC talk board along with an accent p c and doubletalk p c. I picked up an old DEC express a while ago.

On 4/18/2016 2:09 PM, mr. Chikodinaka Oguledo&mrs. AdonnihHappiness Obima Oguledo wrote:
any other voices I can use bsides the jaws voice. I need Somantha for
nvda &others like Jill &rail speak solo voices free ones

On 4/18/16, Pete <emac00@cogeco.ca> wrote:
Hi
I think the synthesizers that come with some audio / sound cards need
to be looked at by screen reader developers. Like I mentioned earlier
textassist is quite a good synthesizer. The thing people kept saying
sapi 3 was junk / old use sapi 4. It's kind of like the whole e-mail
thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep
telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail
or some thing like that. That kind of behavior doesn't encourage freedom
of choice. What if we were all told we would have to use Winkline for
the rest of our lives for a screen reader? May be now a days less
software gets bundled with sound cards plus most p c s have on board audio.
Pete
On 4/18/2016 6:17 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen,

Until a few months ago, discussion of Eloquence wasn't allowed on this
list. This was relaxed last summer when Code Factory released Eloquence
add-on. Back then, Nimer and I (Nimer being the actual list owner) said
discussion of illegal version isn't still permitted.
At this point, it would be advisable to suspend Eloquence discussions for
a while. We cannot risk giving NVDA a slightly muddy reputation at this
important occasion: NVDA's tenth anniversary and NVDACon. Please don't
forget this: the reputation of a product, particularly a product that many
of you depends on, depends on what users say about the product and the
discussions surrounding it.
For those new to this list: I'm known for being generous. However, I'm
also known for being a volcano, especially if the integrity of the list or
the reputation of a product or a community is questioned. I'll not
activate moderation flag for anyone out of respect for everyone and for
newbies to get accustomed to this environment.
For our old friends: Yes, I am indeed serious, more serious now that we're
about to help NV Access celebrate NVDA's tenth birthday. Not only I'm
speaking on behalf of moderators, but as one of the planners of NVDACon
2016 (I am indeed the chair of the planning committee), I'd like to kindly
request that we care about reputation of NVDA, NV Access and this
community. These days, what gives me more stress isn't the question of who
will succeed me or success of NVDACon, but the reputation and future of
this community for months and years to come. What gives me more joy is to
see you all become folks who can think about what's going on and make
informed decisions (yes, that's the reason why I've proposed certain
proposals in the past).
In conclusion, I do know I will not be able to sleep tonight, but believe
I need to say this: NVDA community, specifically this forum, is facing a
crisis: misinformation abounds and passion trumps reason at times. We're
suffering from a disease called "misinformation" - what is illegal being
seen as legal, people not being informed as to what's available to them
when they need it, name calling at times and so forth (as I mentioned in
my blog, I will not accept name calling). Being passionate about something
is good, but it is better to think about what's going on before defending
one's arguments. In other words, contrary to what we've said about this
forum to the outside world, we're at times known for doing the opposite.
Lastly, in regards to free material: there is no such thing as free lunch.
I do need to say this in public: NVDA isn't technically free. For the
benefit of many, NVDA is made available as a free, open-source and
community-driven screen reader. But there are costs associated with this
project. Please stop now and imagine for a second: imagine a group of
developers who have decided to promote equal access to technology at no
additional costs, using their talents to give opportunities for someone
who lives in poverty somewhere. NVDA is more than a screen reader now:
it's a movement, and workers deserve their wages - support, encouragement,
opportunities and so on.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph