locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Gene

Freedom of choice is fine up to a point but you are implying, in an analagous context, that people should be allowed to use Model T Fords to preserve freedom of choice.  Too much choice equals stifling choice for many others.  it is not reasonable nor practical to expect backward compatibility indefinitely.  Over time, it may become too cumbersome to keep a program working on an increasingly old version of an operating system.  Just as it becomes impractical to have model t fords on fast highways of today.  I am not a tech so I can't discuss this from a technical standpointbut it is true that over time it becomes increasingly difficult to keep new versions of an operating system backwardly compatible with increasingly old programs.

As far as reviving Text Assist is concerned, it wouldn't make sense to do so in its original form.  But the real problem with DEDTalk these days is that someone lost the original code and current versions are reconstructions and are not as good, though some reconstructions are quite reasonable.  If the speech part of Text Assist, the DECTalk code, could be used to build a modern version of DECTalk, that might be worth doing.  But Text Assist as such, wouldn't be practical to revive as it was.

From: Pete
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 1:43 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

  Same thing for people wanting windows x p.
  I am getting ready to install w10, have to check on if w e 9 works in w10 or not. the f s people told me j16 works in w10 and sounds like people are using w 10 with nvda.
Change is good but one should not be forced to loose freedom of choice.

On 4/18/2016 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Pete wrote, "It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that."

This isn't a "freedom of choice" issue, it's a simple fact of life that certain programs, Outlook Express being one example, effectively cease to exist when official support ends.  No one is guaranteed, nor should they expect, that anything that they're using will be available in perpetuity.

I discourage people from using Outlook Express because the only existing versions available are hacks based on who knows what code base and with what vulnerabilities.  Since e-mail clients constantly interact with the internet this is a real concern.

While such a concern is not present regarding voice synthesis, things will come, and go, in that arena as well.  There is very likely going to come a point where you, for any you, have to let go of something you're used to because it is not being supported or carried forward.  Getting used to this, even though it's painful, is essential in the cyber world unless you want to drive yourself crazy.  I've seen a lot of people over the years who have expended far more energy trying to hold on to something than would have been expended to learn the new that's available to them.