Re: Does Anyone Else Have This Bug in Firefox Using NVDA?

Tony Ballou

Hey Gene,

Thanks mate, I've got something to send you off list.

Tony

Hi Tony

The below is off the nvda audio tutorials page

it fixed my problem

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

if the above does not fix it then we can try the other suggested stuff from jamie.

On 9/19/2017 10:59 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:

Hey Gene,

Yeah, I think it is that same bug in a different but more powerful incarnation.  It is not just affecting web  browsers, and email clients,programs like word, excel, 7.zip, Nero, and anything with a context menu across the board are all having some sort of issue or just not wanting to work at all. Sounds like a job for the command to re-register the system 32 folder.

Tony
On 9/16/2017 5:47 AM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

hi Tony

Is it doing the following in short? it will not read any thing in your browsers except edge in windows  10? can you get to any of the menus in fire fox etc? Down where the running applications area is does nvda say unknown as you arrow through that section? If you use the context menu will it speak any of the items in it? I am wondering if is that bug?

have a look on my nvda audio tutorials page and go to the section on trouble shooting and look for the heading that says unknown or pane  for windows 10.

I can not remember either but there is a patch etc but can not remember if it is on that page as well. it might only be for windows 7 or 8 machines?

have a look at this ticket and read the comments down near the bottom. The link to this page is https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243

The steps that fixed a friends computer is on my nvda audio tutorials page. but check out the comments first for the ticket.

Gene nz

On 16/09/2017 15:20, Tony Ballou wrote:

Hi,

I don't have that one however, I do have something similar.  In firefox, and a bunch of other apps on my machine, nvda doesn't read the menu bars, tab controls, or certain textual areas of windows.  Really odd, it happened after installing the most recent set of updates for windows 10 version 1607.  Called the Microsoft disability answer desk and its got them scratching their heads as well

Tony

On 9/12/2017 11:50 AM, Brandon Keith Biggs wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone else have this problem:

Start the latest stable NVDA, open the latest Firefox, restart NVDA, try to arrow through the Firefox page. The arrow keys don’t work, just the tab key.

Thank you,