locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Rosemarie Chavarria

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Sorry but you have to buy those voices.

-----Original Message-----
From: mr. Chikodinaka Oguledo&mrs. AdonnihHappiness Obima Oguledo [mailto:happychikao@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 11:09 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: This is the moderator speaking: [nvda] Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

any other voices I can use bsides the jaws voice. I need Somantha for nvda &others like Jill &rail speak solo voices free ones

On 4/18/16, Pete <emac00@cogeco.ca> wrote:

Hi
I think the synthesizers that come with some audio / sound cards
need to be looked at by screen reader developers. Like I mentioned
earlier textassist is quite a good synthesizer. The thing people kept
saying sapi 3 was junk / old use sapi 4. It's kind of like the whole
e-mail thing with people wanting to use outlook express except people
keep telling them to use Thunderbird or Microsoft outlook or window
live mail or some thing like that. That kind of behavior doesn't
encourage freedom of choice. What if we were all told we would have
to use Winkline for the rest of our lives for a screen reader? May be
now a days less software gets bundled with sound cards plus most p c s have on board audio.
Pete
On 4/18/2016 6:17 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen,

Until a few months ago, discussion of Eloquence wasn't allowed on
this list. This was relaxed last summer when Code Factory released
Eloquence add-on. Back then, Nimer and I (Nimer being the actual list
owner) said discussion of illegal version isn't still permitted.
At this point, it would be advisable to suspend Eloquence discussions
for a while. We cannot risk giving NVDA a slightly muddy reputation
at this important occasion: NVDA's tenth anniversary and NVDACon.
Please don't forget this: the reputation of a product, particularly a
product that many of you depends on, depends on what users say about
the product and the discussions surrounding it.
For those new to this list: I'm known for being generous. However,
I'm also known for being a volcano, especially if the integrity of
the list or the reputation of a product or a community is questioned.
I'll not activate moderation flag for anyone out of respect for
everyone and for newbies to get accustomed to this environment.
For our old friends: Yes, I am indeed serious, more serious now that
we're about to help NV Access celebrate NVDA's tenth birthday. Not
only I'm speaking on behalf of moderators, but as one of the planners
of NVDACon
2016 (I am indeed the chair of the planning committee), I'd like to
kindly request that we care about reputation of NVDA, NV Access and
this community. These days, what gives me more stress isn't the
question of who will succeed me or success of NVDACon, but the
reputation and future of this community for months and years to come.
What gives me more joy is to see you all become folks who can think
about what's going on and make informed decisions (yes, that's the
reason why I've proposed certain proposals in the past).
In conclusion, I do know I will not be able to sleep tonight, but
believe I need to say this: NVDA community, specifically this forum,
is facing a
crisis: misinformation abounds and passion trumps reason at times.
We're suffering from a disease called "misinformation" - what is
illegal being seen as legal, people not being informed as to what's
available to them when they need it, name calling at times and so
forth (as I mentioned in my blog, I will not accept name calling).
Being passionate about something is good, but it is better to think
about what's going on before defending one's arguments. In other
words, contrary to what we've said about this forum to the outside world, we're at times known for doing the opposite.
Lastly, in regards to free material: there is no such thing as free lunch.
I do need to say this in public: NVDA isn't technically free. For the
benefit of many, NVDA is made available as a free, open-source and
community-driven screen reader. But there are costs associated with
this project. Please stop now and imagine for a second: imagine a
group of developers who have decided to promote equal access to
technology at no additional costs, using their talents to give
opportunities for someone who lives in poverty somewhere. NVDA is more than a screen reader now:
it's a movement, and workers deserve their wages - support,
encouragement, opportunities and so on.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Joseph