Re: using facebook

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Usenet is the www before the www existed.  Well, it was more of a cross between groups.io and the www.  You could literally find anything on usenet, but it's more or less a large (and I mena large) collection of discussion groups to which anyone can participate in and contribute to.  Unfortunately, these days, most isps don't provide usenet access, so you're kind of out of luck when it comes to accessing these groups.  As far as I know, there are still a few providers that will privide access for a fee, which is truly a shame, because it used to be provided with each and every internet access account, and it was a great resource, of course, it was also a huge spam trap, and still is, but it's still loaded with useful information.

On 9/23/2017 8:09 PM, Pauline Smith wrote:
Good Evening,

What is UseNet?  I hope I typed that right.  What kinds of stuff is found on this site?

Pauline

On 9/23/2017 4:03 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I think any social media platform for us has issues as we are coming in late and do not know how to restrict the crud and all the clever stuff so we only see what we want to see and also of course only allow others to see what we want them to see as well. So many blind friends have had their fingers burned on these sites by bullying or indeed by off the cuff comments that have been seen by important folk like employers or family and friends.
There are dangers out there.
I was never brought up with this concept, but a lot of the younger nvda users here have always known this stuff. I use Usenet, and always have done. We all know that is open and public but when it comes to Facebook, and to a lesser extent, Twitter, its unfortunately alot easier for folk to find you.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] using facebook

Well I made a decision that I wouldn't tweat much, I mean my life revovles around a pc but still I refuse to spend it reading tweats even though I do read a few.

I think social media is a time management issue. I find better things to do with my time than to wrestle with facebook. That is all. I'm not going to say I'll never use it, but for what use I could make of it a huge learning curve appears to be needed by any user without sight.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@softcon.com>