Re: migrating Windows installation

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

If you know anything about useing the command line Diskpart can do anything you want to a disk. It is very powerful so it can do very bad things if you inadvertenly tell it too. :) The hardest part of useing it is remembering the commands. But Google and the /? command help.
On 9/29/2017 1:10 AM, Randy Barnett wrote:
Sorry to chime in now but you didnt need to do that. If you use a program to migrate your OS from the old disk it will delete the partition you just made and create new ones that match your OS drive.
I use Samsung and their migration software is great so I cant help you with a good alternative... Sorry.
This is what I found with Google:
It looks like Kingston has a migration tool also. It is a well known one at that. Not sure about accessibility...
As for leaving your music out of the transfer you may have to move it off the disk temporarily then move it back after the migration.
On 9/29/2017 12:20 AM, Justin Harris wrote:
I was finally able to find an accessible tool to get that partition made. It's late, and I had to try several before I found one that worked.

My Kingston SSD came with no such special software, but I got a reply back from the fine folks at Station Playlist, as I had asked to get my license keys again just to be on the safe side. In addition to that, they were able to recommend some free software to do exactly what I want. So here goes nothin. lol

El 9/29/2017 a las 1:53 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escribió:
I'd suggest you maybe contact somebody else who runs a station or similar.

Seems to me that many  ssds seem to come with bespoke software, mine is Samsung, that can take the drudgery out of this task.
It might in fact be best to just give in and get a sighted person to do it.
One word of warning though, the last time I did this with normal hard drives was some time ago, and in the end I had to reinstall all software as there was no easy way to  get all the installed programs and their links onto a completely different physical drive. Also Windows and some other software all started popping up, that they had been cloned and you would need to reactivate them on various web sites etc.

If I had knowsn about all that I'd just have made a clean install to start with, but then I was not running a radio station.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Harris" <justin171185@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 1:55 AM
Subject: [nvda] migrating Windows installation

Hi everyone,
I am hoping that someone else has actually done this before, because I am totally stuck. I just got a new solid state drive, and wish to migrate my windows installation and programs to that, while keeping music and such on my old drive. The ssd is only 120 gb, so I believe this is how I will have to go about everything.
So, here goes:
1. The new drive is not accessible through Windows Explorer, but I am able to find it in the disk management in control panel. However, I am unable to make a partition. It shows the unalocated space, as being the whole thing. But when I go in to the applications menu, it won't let me do anything. A lot of the options are dimmed. I've tried doing things with object navigation and everything, and just can't do it. So, first off, what's the best way to be able to partition this drive? All I need is one partition, but no matter how hard I try, I have yet to be able to figure it out.
2. Once the disk has been partitioned, what is the best, and most accessible program to migrate my Windows installation??? I know I could probably do a fresh install, but the idea is to have everything back up and running quickly, as I run an online radio station, and down time is not a good thing at all.
I really hope that someone can give me a hand here. Thanks in advance for the info. :)

-- 
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

-- 
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.