Re: migrating Windows installation

It depends if you are wanting programs or programs and settings.

I have all my programs backed up however.

Its probably better that you just reformat and reinstall.

Sometimes programs like flashfxp can have backup settings some games etc I have backups of my profiles and such and then I dropbox all those.

I keep coppies of my bt sync file data, etc, etc, etc.

You can find and backup your mail boxes though if you do that you need to import those back in.

If you have imap ofcause and its all setup it becomes redundant quite fast as as soon as you login every setting and bit of whatever is pulled from your cloud node so its fine.

You can clone your hard drive as long as the following conditions are met.

1.  a full partition clone would you have a drive the same partition as your other drive you could clone it all back that way.

2.  just the data.

The most important directories are your program data and your user/userprofile folder.

So you can copy those over and just do that.

You can install all your programs and copy those over.

Or just clone all your hard drive data.

Assuming though that you do do this and it all works without the following listed issues, there will be a problem.

1.  if you cloan from your instalation, say c to e and then boot from the installation and your e drive at that point is not your c drive then you will have issues.

Even if things start you are going to have stuff install and so on all over the place.

You can ofcause configure everything to install on e and not c but change it back when you finish fixing things.

Then there is the state where your drive is bigger than what you have, and you just get a partition for your data which is the same as your older drive meaning you need to use diskmanager to expand the partition.

Ok so thats fine.

You may have to change some paths etc in registry to get things working and then previding things don't fail you should be good.

As long as you are installing on the same hardware.

However updates and clones don't work all that well.

Your user profile is pritty cool, its robust and will happily work for you unless you either get malware or try to move it.

You may loose sounds and what not.

If that happens you just make another user profile, delete the other one copy your old files over and well you are in business.

your programs like dropbox, google and a few other things will need reinstalling and configuring.

Sadly updates don't always go smoothly.

I had just an issue where after the google drive and photos apps got merged into sync, that after the upgrade things didn't work so well and I had to fiddle about.

It is probably easier to reformat and get it over with.

On 29/09/2017 8:20 p.m., Justin Harris wrote:
I was finally able to find an accessible tool to get that partition made. It's late, and I had to try several before I found one that worked.

My Kingston SSD came with no such special software, but I got a reply back from the fine folks at Station Playlist, as I had asked to get my license keys again just to be on the safe side. In addition to that, they were able to recommend some free software to do exactly what I want. So here goes nothin. lol

El 9/29/2017 a las 1:53 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escribió:
I'd suggest you maybe contact somebody else who runs a station or similar.

Seems to me that many  ssds seem to come with bespoke software, mine is Samsung, that can take the drudgery out of this task.
It might in fact be best to just give in and get a sighted person to do it.
One word of warning though, the last time I did this with normal hard drives was some time ago, and in the end I had to reinstall all software as there was no easy way to  get all the installed programs and their links onto a completely different physical drive. Also Windows and some other software all started popping up, that they had been cloned and you would need to reactivate them on various web sites etc.

If I had knowsn about all that I'd just have made a clean install to start with, but then I was not running a radio station.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-