Re: Necessary training to write a screen reader?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well a look at how windows code exposes data for such purposes is probably where you start from then if you know this, making some kind of program to interact with them. I think you need to be able to program in at least one of the well known C compilation front ends and of course this in itself needs to be accessible using another screenreader, maybe Jaws.
Then you need a semi compiled scripting language to join all the bits up and to make decisions about which bits of the API use for what and went etc.
I started far too late in this to be any good at it, but I do also think some people have a natural gift for it, ie they can think in the logic needed to make it work before actually writing it.

I mean back in the 80s I could write basic and small routines in z80 assembler but in no way could I have written a game by hand in those days as some quite obviously did. they had a gift of thinking that way.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 9:29 PM
Subject: [nvda] Necessary training to write a screen reader?

Hi,

When I read about how NVDA was born by a blind developer starting and writing it back in 2006, where do you think he would have even gotten the training to write a screen reader? I know that one would not get this from college alone. College may teach the fundamentals of Computer Science with an introduction to some specialized topics like security and cryptography, image processing, networking, and multimedia, but writing a screen reader has to be a highly complex undertaking. I am not looking to write one, but am intrigued by NVDA's history.

Thanks,
Mike

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.