locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Heaven Botma <ehlbotma@...>

To add to what Christo says. My first laptop had Windows Vista and
when I bought my netbook, I asked someone to load Windows XP and
Office 2003 on it so that I could navigate, since that was what we
were using in the college and school at the time. From there, I
progressed to Windows 7 32 Bit, resisting the change to Windows 7 64
Bit and upgraded to Office 2010. I skipped Windows 8, not feeling
comfortable with the change and went directly to Windows 10. I am
glad I upgraded to Windows 10 with the new laptop, because it works
better than both the other operating systems.

The moral of the story, somewhere along the line one has to change
whether you like it or not, because as the technology improves, the
older software phases out and becomes more difficult to get hold of,
so the quicker one changes one's preference of software, the less one
needs to struggle.

Regards

Heaven

On 4/19/16, Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@icloud.com> wrote:
WE 9 works, but it must be 9.2 or later.
On 18 Apr 2016, at 19:43, Pete <emac00@cogeco.ca> wrote:

Same thing for people wanting windows x p.
I am getting ready to install w10, have to check on if w e 9 works in
w10 or not. the f s people told me j16 works in w10 and sounds like people
are using w 10 with nvda.
Change is good but one should not be forced to loose freedom of choice.
On 4/18/2016 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Pete wrote, "It's kind of like the whole e-mail thing with people wanting
to use outlook express except people keep telling them to use Thunderbird
or Microsoft outlook or window live mail or some thing like that."

This isn't a "freedom of choice" issue, it's a simple fact of life that
certain programs, Outlook Express being one example, effectively cease to
exist when official support ends. No one is guaranteed, nor should they
expect, that anything that they're using will be available in
perpetuity.

I discourage people from using Outlook Express because the only existing
versions available are hacks based on who knows what code base and with
what vulnerabilities. Since e-mail clients constantly interact with the
internet this is a real concern.

While such a concern is not present regarding voice synthesis, things
will come, and go, in that arena as well. There is very likely going to
come a point where you, for any you, have to let go of something you're
used to because it is not being supported or carried forward. Getting
used to this, even though it's painful, is essential in the cyber world
unless you want to drive yourself crazy. I've seen a lot of people over
the years who have expended far more energy trying to hold on to
something than would have been expended to learn the new that's available
to them.