locked Re: This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

That is one thing and reason I don't change.
Old software compatibility, etc hardware etc.
And the cost to change some stuff is high especially if its not used.

On 19/04/2016 6:41 p.m., Christo Vorster wrote:
Hi

I agree that one must change, but is it necessary to change at all cost?

Sent: Tuesday, 19 April 2016 4:26 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

It depends. The point of the Model T analogy is, to expand on it, that driving such an antiquated car endangers others, not just you when you drive on a modern highway. In an analogous way, using an old version of Windows leaves you, particularly if you are not a very knowledgeable user, more vulnerable to infection and that may pose a thread to the security of others, It depends to an extent on how you use your computer. If you use your old version of Windows, XP or lower, in certain restricted ways, it my be easy to stay safe. If you use it for general use, you are more likely to become infected.

If you are knowledgeable you may be able to use something as old as XP and be reasonably safe. But most users don't have that level of knowledge. Unless it is not possible for some reason, it would be a good idea for a lot of users to move to Windows 7 from XP. I still use XP and I believe I am reasonably safe because of the precautions I take but I wouldn't use an XP machine for anything personal such as banking or for shopping where information such as a credit card is used. I have a Windows 7 machine I would use for such purposes. And over time, XP will become increasingly restricted in how it can be used or used well. For example, even though HTML5 is supposed to be compatible with Firefox and, at least for now, Firefox is continuing to support XP, my experience is that HTML5 doesn't play audio properly in XP. Flash is being phased out and, although it will still be around for years, it is increasingly being offered by sites and at times, is replacing Flash. Add to tha
t that HTML5 is usually far more accessible because accessibility is built into it and you have major benefits if you care about audio, to upgrade.

In short, my position is that if people want to run old programs and old versions of Windows, I won't tell them not to but I will tell them that if they do, they should have sufficient knowledge to know how to do so safely.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 6:40 PM

To: nvda@groups.io

Subject: Re: [nvda] This is the moderator speaking: Question Regarding Eloquence for NVDA from Code Factory

Hi Group,

I agree with this to a point, but let's be real. The Model T analogy
doesn't hold water. I do not encourage people to stick with DOS or
Windows 95 for sure, but I also don't think it is always advisable to go
out and get the alleged best of the best right away. Moderation is
always the best policy.

On 4/18/2016 3:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Gene wrote, "Freedom of choice is fine up to a point but you are implying, in an analagous context, that people should be allowed to use Model T Fords to preserve freedom of choice. Too much choice equals stifling choice for many others. it is not reasonable nor practical to expect backward compatibility indefinitely."

To which I cannot say, more loudly, "Amen brother!!"

I really don't know why people think that the cyber world can, will, or should offer indefinite backward compatibility when none of the rest of the world ever has. Whether it's because it's too cumbersome or difficult or because a given vendor just decides "time's up," the loss of stuff in the cyber world is a fact of life just like it is "in real life."

The fact that it is easier, often by far, to cling to something in the cyber world long past its "expiration date" only complicates the problem.

Brian

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.