Hi Sky,

I don't see the price of jaws going up.  It's an interesting theory, but all the evidence suggests VFO is consolidating, hammering away on their commercial exclusivities, and battoning down to milk the next four years or so for as much money as there is in the pot.  Then they will bow out.  With the looming end of the desktop pc, the rise of nvda, voiceover, and mobile, and the gradual demise of special funding for government and education special access, there won't be a market share for jaws in any form soon.

Just to keep this on topic, I'm using nvda in my college courses and it's handling sequal server like a boss.  I still prefer mobile to do my html and java script courses as well as my math, but I need windows debuggers.  I'm totally good with how NVDA is handling windows 10, microsoft edge, and win 10 mail.  The college has a five point floating site licence for Jaws because another student asked for jaws support, but I believe my technologist is working to get NVDA into the working disk images for the labs and library systems, as well as setting up some sort of corporate donation program for NVDA.  The death of the desktop will kill jaws, and may take NVDA with it, but til then, I'm so happy with NVDA, and I think the college is too.

On October 2, 2017 4:01:24 PM "Sky Mundell" <skyt@...> wrote:

I totally agree with you Erick. The education institutions that deliver equipment to students in Vancouver and around BC and here in Victoria haven’t really embraced NVDA but I can see them embracing NVDA sooner rather than later. Remember, FS always saw its main competition, Window-Eyes as a threat. Since the main competition is now gone, , eventually VFO could raise the price of JAWS a lot higher, say, to $10000 or so, and that would force educational institutions to go with NVDA.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik burggraaf
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 10:12 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

The sample size is very small in these surveys,  but they definitely show the paradigm shift and I won't be surprised at all to see mobile, mac voiceover, and nvda useage up, and jaws useage down.  Window-eyes use should fall right off the charts since the product is discontinued.  This will help slow the skid of jaws, but I think at least as many window-eyes switchers made it to NVDA as to jaws, despite the fact that jaws 18 was a free upgrade for Many window-eyes users.

Since the new paradigm puts the blind more or less on an equal playing field, and social, legal and economic trends all support moving in that direction it shouldn't be too surprising that blind users want it more and more.  I have thought for years that 2021 is about the final stopping point for old paradigm designs, particularly the personal computer, but I can see a lot of tradition going by the board by then.  This is all good for us, and it's nice to have something concreet to demonstrate the trend we can all see happening around us.

Have fun,

Erik

On October 2, 2017 12:57:37 AM "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...> wrote:

Wow, interesting. I'm not surprised. I wonder what we'll see this year now that a lot of us are switching to nvda and or android and or voiceover.

Take care

On Oct 1, 2017, at 9:34 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

hi Bhavya

I have been following the surveys after they  survey  has finished.

I have also been noticing that the number of jaws users have been dropping along with a few of the commercial screen users and magnifiers etc.

Also the use of mobile units starting to rise as in the use of android and apple devices that can go portable.

For me mostly home use is nvda 100 percent of the time and if mobile a android device.

Gene nz

On 10/1/2017 2:20 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web
accessibility
consultancy organisation, has been conducting an annual
(sometimes
biennial)
survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to
gather
statistics
about the usage share of different screen
readers,
technology
(particularly Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as
aid analysts,
researchers, accessibility consultants,
sighted
developers,
and mainstream companies to get a quantified picture
of
the state of the
AT industry.
While
this survey features participation from varied
geographies,
NVDA’s
user base, at least in my personal view, has always
been
understated.
While 8% respondents of the first December 2008
WebAim
survey
reported to be NVDA users, this figure has only increased
14% of respondents
in its 2015 counterpart claiming to use NVDA
as
their primary
screen reader and 41% using it commonly, a usage
share
substantially
lower than NVDA’s commercial and more expensive
screen
reading
alternatives.
I think
it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in
getting
the word out
about NVDA’s viability and competency  if all
NVDA
community
members, users, testers and other related
parties,
particularly
from second and third world developing regions
which
often remain
silent for such surveys but where free and open
source
NVDA makes a
prominent impact, take this survey and contribute
letting the world
know about the size and standing of the NVDA
user
base.
The URL of said survey is  https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/
.
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and
the form was
extremely accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but
filling such
surveys
always brings out useful and reflective data, which, in
turn,
betters AT as a
whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some
time
out for this
survey so that we can make the data truly reflective
of
the
actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my
intention to merely
promote this survey.