Re: WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Gene

Why would the owners of JAWS commit suicide or strongly encourage purchasers not to use their product by doing something ridiculous, as you suggest?  They won't.  I don't know if they will try different prices as time goes on to get the most profit from the most or optimum number of sales, but that is different from behaving irrationally.  Is this part of the JAWS is greedy and can charge anything it wants argument?  It doesn't matter in the context of this argument, that I've heard for two decades with no meaningful proof given, whether JAWS is greedy or not.  What matters is that JAWS doesn't exist in a vacuum.  It may charge what the market will bear but it still operates in a market.  If institutions are willing to pay a price, JAWS may decide to charge it.  But that doesn't mean that institutions are irrational.  They aren't going to accept a thousand percent price rise of a product just because JAWS owners decide to try to charge it.

Sent: Monday, October 02, 2017 3:00 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

I totally agree with you Erick. The education institutions that deliver equipment to students in Vancouver and around BC and here in Victoria haven’t really embraced NVDA but I can see them embracing NVDA sooner rather than later. Remember, FS always saw its main competition, Window-Eyes as a threat. Since the main competition is now gone, , eventually VFO could raise the price of JAWS a lot higher, say, to $10000 or so, and that would force educational institutions to go with NVDA.