Re: Using skype app on Windows 10 with NVDA, any tips?

hi.
do you mean skype for business?
if so, nvda 17.3 and later, have special support for skype for business.
i am not familiar with skype for business, but i read in whats new
about supporting of nvda for skype.

• NVDA now automatically reports notifications in Skype for Business
Desktop, such as when someone starts a conversation with you. (#7281)

• NVDA now automatically reports incoming chat messages while in a
Skype for Business conversation. (#7286)

hope that help, God bless you.

On 10/4/17, John Isige <gwynn@...> wrote:
Hi all. I'm not actually new to the list, I used to be on the old list
as John Schucker, but I went and got married and changed my last name.

Anyway, my question is about using skype on Windows 10, naturally. Since
I have a laptop, I uninstalled skype for desktop to try out the new
skype, since NVDA with Win 10 app essentials reads it. I can do most
things I think, but was wondering if anybody had any tips or answers to
a few questions.

1. Does it start when Windows starts automatically? I see no setting.

2. Speaking of settings, are there settings, and if so, how do you
access settings for the app?

3. How do you get notifications to stick around? I'm pretty sure I have
mine set to display for 30 seconds, but when I get one, and I try to
switch windows to see it, I see no other windows. I think I'd like them
to stick around until I close them so that I can see if new messages
have come in if I'm away from my computer. Or is there a better way to
check that?

4. Skype doesn't minimize to the system tray when you minimize it, is
there a way to make it do that? I don't feel like having a window open
all the time just in case somebody sends me a message.

5. Does it not do sounds anymore? I hear no sound if I send a message,
for example.

I think I had another question or two but I can't remember, and these
seem more than enough to start with. Basically this is an experiment for
me, so I'm curious to know if anybody's using the app version, I assume
it's skype preview? Once I uninstalled "skype for desktop" I just had
skype. I haven't tried calling anybody or adding people to calls or
anything like that. So I'd be very interested in tips on switching from
desktop to whatever's in Win 10, if anybody's done it.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
www.al-islam.org